Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can i put 17 inch wheels and tires on a stock 63 chevy2 and if so what size tire without any problems?

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
My advice is to invest in a WheelRite (Summit or Jegs) and measure YOUR car. The wheel diameter has little to do whether they will fit or not. It's about tire diameter, offset, section width etc. Do your homework before spending money on wheels and tires...it can be a nightmare if you don't get it right. Taking someone elses word for it is a crap shoot. Each tire vendor's product is slightly different even though the tire may be stamped a particular size. You will have to look at the their technical spec sheets to see what the actual physical sizes are.

Here's a good article to read as a starter http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/ccrp_0610_muscle_car_performance_wheels_fitment/index.html

·
Registered
362 Posts
5 lug or 4 lug? A stock width 5 lug will take a 17x7 on the rear with 4.5" backspace or 4.75 backspace if you want a lil thicker sidewall bulge. the fronts would need to be same or the rears wouldn't be as deep as the fronts.

I have the 17x7 with 4.75 backspace with 215/60 R17 Michelins and a stock 10 bolt 5 lug rearend. The fronts are 15x4 and 135R15 Michelins.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Hey, I just left a reply on another thread for a website that has tire information for 1st geners. Go to www.JollyRodder.com and look for the section called chevy II tire/wheel fitment. It has a lot of info on tire/ rim sizes to include backspacing.:yes::yes:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Not to sound like a douche bag, but can we stop using the term "fitment". "Fit" works just fine. I've seen "fitment" used in car mags and how it got by the editors, escapes me.

Always check the spec sheets for the tire you are considering buying. The sidewall #s never match up.

·
Registered
28 Posts
fitment

Not to sound like a douche bag, but can we stop using the term "fitment". "Fit" works just fine. I've seen "fitment" used in car mags and how it got by the editors, escapes me.

Always check the spec sheets for the tire you are considering buying. The sidewall #s never match up.
what the heck is wrong with fitment ?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts