Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently did a front disc brake swap on my 67 coupe, and now must replace my 14" cragars. Thanks to all the info from you guys i know the proper wheel sizes and tire combos. My problem is that I always wanted the classic torque thrust d's on my car, and can now afford them, but all the info I have learned states i should have a 4.25-4.5" backspacing . American racing only has 3.75" backspacing. Their application guide states for a 15" wheel i should use the 15"*7 with 3.75 and a 5.08mm offset. i searched here and on 2 quick novas for other 67's with this combo and could'nt dig it up. Does the offset make up for the difference, or am I SOL on the Americans.
oh yeah, the car has a stock rear setup with a rolled inner fender (done before i owned it:) )
thanks for any help you can provide.

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
I have 15" x 4" with 145's on the front of mine. if your car is lowered at all the 7's won't fit. even if it's not lowered I would think the 7" would be too big. I would think with a stock hieght, 6" with the correct tire size would work.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry I should have said that I am going with 15" by 6's up front and 15" by 7's in the back. The rears are the ones i'm stressing about. And the car is not dropped. Stock ride height.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
I have Torque Thrust II's on my '66. 15x6 3-3/4" backspacing on front and 15x8 4-1/2" backspacing on rear. AR did custom backspacing(for a price). I don't know about the "D's" though.
BP

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Phil said:
With the 15X8 I would think you would have had to do some fender lip massage?
Nope, close though. Couldn't go any bigger. Maybe should have gone to 4-3/4" backspacing. I have air shocks on back and have to run the back end up a little.
BP

·
Premium Member
981 Posts
May or may not apply

Hi Ska,
I just went thur this with my 3rd Gen, so it may not apply, If your 2nd gen is anything like mine, To get a fatter, 245/15 or bigger you need to go to Model # 405 TourqThrustII, Custom Backset of 4" or more, I tried to (squeeze) 245's on 15x7x3.75, "NO WAY" even with rolled fenders, Fattest i can fit are 225x60x15, and typical of novas, passenger side only has 1/8" clearnce!! Good Luck!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
861 Posts
BPeer1 said:
Nope, close though. Couldn't go any bigger. Maybe should have gone to 4-3/4" backspacing. I have air shocks on back and have to run the back end up a little.
BP
Glad it worked for you. Most can only go 15X7 with 4.5 back space. This gives some limited clearance on body roll on turns so the tires dont scrape the inner fender lip. Some have had to grind the inner sides of the springs, near the front inside edge of the tire area to clear, with only an 1/8" clearance.
With the air shocks and back up you have you're probably running awful close to the edges at the fender lip on heavy cornering. Again glad it worked for you...Phil

1 - 9 of 9 Posts