Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now I have some 14 inch cragar pro star wheels (I think thats what they are called) on my 64 Nova. It looks like they have a 4-4.5 bs (I just did a crude, quick measure with a tape). Will these work with a disc brake upgrade? Any brand or type of conversion kit that will work good for me, it's just going to be used as a cruiser/driver mainly. I cant really spend a fortune but I dont want junk. I also thought about a larger wheel like these.........
http://nmi.craigslist.org/pts/3427200406.html
Let me know if these will work without rubbing etc, and also if they are a good deal.
Thanks folks, Roy

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a 64 Nova and just did some tire/wheel checking on mine. I have 15's Prowelds 7" width and sure they are split even on BS 3 1/2". There is not a whole lot of space to work with but I have air shocks which can give it a little height without going overboard.

I tried afriend's 15 "/8" Billet Wheels with 275's and 4 1/2 BS. Section width of tire was about 11.5 inch which is what you have to really look at because if too wide they will rub. I had less than 1/4 inch from rubbing on the leaf springs. It had no space on the outside wheel well. You also have to look under the wheel well because there is a hump about 1 inch up from edge.

I am currently grinding doown that hump, I hammered in the nubs on the inside ( you have to be careful with this - I haad som undiscovered bondo on the one of the openings/fender and cracked/split - I need to fix). I also cut a 1/2 inch slice on the front of the wheel well to allow the 28" tire. I like the look of filling the wheel well and the look of more a nostalgic racer

In closing, you can look at my pictures on my profile - the ones I tested and the final which I have now. They are 28's MT Sportmans Radials on my 15", 7" Prostar. All fits snuggly without tubbing the wheel well or shaving the frame or moving in the springs. MT's Sports have a 10.3 Section width which I think allowed me to do it. 17's or 18's could be trouble if you do not have the proper BS and tire width.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts