Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope that I'm posting in the right place. This is my first post. I am mini-tubbing my 70 Nova SS. I have determined that I will need approximately 5 1/2" or 6 " backspace to get 15x8's with 10.5s in the hole.

My question is about manufacturers suppling that much backspace on a wheel without having to buy weld wheels like everyone else? I would like ol'skool styles like Crager SS wheels or AR torq thrus wheels. I have even considered rallye style but it needs to have the required backspace.

Has anyone got a suggestion for me?

·
Registered
329 Posts
There is a sale of billet specialties on summit you might want to check out

·
Registered
930 Posts
check out earlywheel.com. They have rally's and then you can get any bs you want.

and personally if you are minitubbing it why not go with a 10" wheel, because I can fit a 15x8 with 5.5" bs and a 28x12.5 et street in a stock wheel well with the shocks relocated.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
I have determined that I will need approximately 5 1/2" or 6 " backspace to get 15x8's with 10.5s in the hole.
I've had 10.5's on stock 15x7 rally's, as well as 15x8-1/2" Centerlines that have about 4-3/4" b.s before the mini-tub.
5 1/2 or 6" is too much and will put the tire against the spring.
A 15x8 with 5" b.s. is the most common size that works with just nudging the lower shock mount over a little. (I drilled an extra hole in my slapper bars to move the shock)
After the mini-tub, I'm looking at 15x10 with about 5.5" b.s., but it depends on the axle width.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone...I have not mini-tubbed yet. I have installed a big 10 rearend with 373:1 and posi unit. we were getting ready to minitub when I thought about wheels. The gas tank has been removed, mono springs and slappers installed. We moved the monos to the inside put about 3* of hook in the perches and straightened the drag shocks to a more upright position. We were taking rough measurements and came up with 5-1/2 to 6 inches of backspace required. I plan to mount 10-1/2 tires on 15x8 rims. So I thought that I may be able to get away without mini-tubbing.
You have more experience with these things. Am I wrong about the backspacing?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Rally Wheels and proper backspacing?

I thought I would ask a question somewhere along the same lines as this guy? I want to put the widest stock rallys on front and rear that will match in depth ex. (15x8) and have the same back spacing on a 68 nova can anyone tell me what will fit? Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts