Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to figure out why the horn has never worked since I've had the car. Need it to work to pass inspection. Ran a jumper wire from pos bat terminal to horn. Works fine. The green wire from the horn goes into the bottom of the relay. While looking at this wire - I found the big black wire from the screw on the left of the 1st pic goes into the dead space in the fender well and is terminated with black tape. :eek: What was this wire for? Why is it hooked to the horn relay but not to anything else? Here are pics: 1st one is the relay, 2nd one is the wire I'm talking about, and 3rd one is my alternator just so you know what it is. I'm not good with this stuff - and I need to figure out how to get the horn to work.....:confused::confused::confused:

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
This is for my 67 Nova. Other models should be similar. An electrical drawing of your's would be good.

The 2 screw terminals on the relay should each have 12VDC on them all the time. One of them goes to the coil in the relay, the other goes to the internal switch that gets pulled in to supply voltage to the horns.

One of the spade lugs should have a green wire going to it for the horns. The other spade lug should have a black wire to it coming from your horn button contact in the steering wheel.

When the black wire goes to ground, the coil energizes, closing the switch to supply 12V to the horns making them blow.:yes:

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On this one the green wire plugs in the bottom of the relay.....I don't really know how to check it to see whats hot and whats not...:confused:

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
Can you follow that green wire out and see if it goes to the horns. Even if that wire plugs into the bottom, you should be able to get a meter probe on it. If not, pull the horn relay off to get to it. If that is the wire that goes to the horns, it wont have anything on it anyway until the relay is energized. You gotta get 12VDC to the relay to start with.

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Green wire goes straight to the spade on the horn that I ran a jumper from the battery to and made the horn work. I don't have any kind of meter, I'll have to see if I can find my test light. I still kinda wonder if the fact that the big black wire that is attached to the left screw doesn't go to anything means that the whole relay has been bypassed somehow......I can't work on it tonite - so any more ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.....Thanks

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
This is for my 67 Nova. Other models should be similar. An electrical drawing of your's would be good.

The 2 screw terminals on the relay should each have 12VDC on them all the time. One of them goes to the coil in the relay, the other goes to the internal switch that gets pulled in to supply voltage to the horns.

One of the spade lugs should have a green wire going to it for the horns. The other spade lug should have a black wire to it coming from your horn button contact in the steering wheel.

When the black wire goes to ground, the coil energizes, closing the switch to supply 12V to the horns making them blow.:yes:
The heavier gauge black wire goes to a screw terminal on the relay, right? It should probably have a continuous 12VDC on it.

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you look at the top pic - the heavy black wire that is screwed to the left side screw goes to nothing. It is balled up in a wire tie and has black tape on the end to terminate it. Hooks to nothing. I don't know if its hot or not. The big black wire screwed to the right screw goes to the black cylinder with the red wire coming out of it in the bottom of the pic. I'll mess with it tomorrow afternoon after work. Gotta go to bed now.....:yes:

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
Yeah, I know it's not hooked up, just sayin' it needs 12VDC on it. I'll leave you be, so you can get everything hooked up like my first post.:yes::D Electrical probs are the best.:bored:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts