Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
14,013 Posts
Not a chance! This car has no L78 left in it. It's been so highly modified it could have started out as a six cylinder 2 door coupe. If someone is looking for a race car like this, they're not going to pay more because it started life as an L78. It's a shame this car isn't stock, because I don't think many L78 SSs were sold in Canada in 1969 (remember that 2602 figure on the documentation is the total number of 2 door V/8 coupes, not the number of L78 SSs). GM Canada does not have figures on options, so we'll never know how many L78 SSs there were. Because the documentation proves it was an L78 SS, if it was stock, original color, in excellent shape, and all the options were still in place, IMO this car would be worth no less than $75,000 U.S.
Bob

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
A December 12, '69 shipping date is pretty late for a '69 Nova altho' the front fender engine callout is in the '69 style.
John.

·
14,013 Posts
bavs70 said:
A December 12, '69 shipping date is pretty late for a '69 Nova altho' the front fender engine callout is in the '69 style.
John.
I noticed that too, John. Because these cars were built in the U.S., you don't get a production date on the GM Canada documentation.
A Dec 12 shipping date means the owner was probably taking delivery from the dealer in late Dec/69 or early Jan/70. It's not unusual for a car to sit on a dealers lot for an extended period, but I think it would be unusual for a truck to be delivering a brand new 69 to a dealership when the 70s had been out for almost 3 months. You're right that it does look like a 69. It also has the amber park light lenses (70s had white lense and amber bulb).
Bob

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Why do guys do this,he said the car never seen snow let alone salt so why did you build a race car out of it.That car is now a race car not a L78 car.I'm trying to restore mine and have to see these guys doing this.You guys think a restored L78 is worth $75000 US my trans case is junk the engine is all original parts (needs rebuild)except crank it's beyond repair & needs to go 60 over.I was told my car is rare cause it has complete deluxe interior buckets,console,guages,but no exterior trim only SS conversion.Any opinions are well come I have no intention of selling just curious.

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Bob,
The L78 on Ebay isn't too different from the Nova at the Tradex Auction. What did that car sell for? Same situation, chopped up but L78 documentation.
John.

·
14,013 Posts
bavs70 said:
Bob,
The L78 on Ebay isn't too different from the Nova at the Tradex Auction. What did that car sell for? Same situation, chopped up but L78 documentation.
John.
John, I didn't see that car go across the block, so don't know whether it sold. You're right about it being the same situation. A great Canadian documented L78 with no L78 left in it.
Bob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts