Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
6,343 Posts
Fzeed . . I agree . . that you do need to buy a FAM (Factory Assembly Manual) , for your year car. About
$ 20 / 25.00 from several vendors . I bought 2 each = be aware that they come in basic two styles .
One of mine was like a "bound book" and the 2nd one was like "loose leaf pages" (I just bought a 'note book like
3 ring binder' ).
Very well worth the $ $ $'s .

Then, you say (guess) that your engine is a 230 ci motor . Find your motor I D code ; and check :
Novaresource.org . . it will tell you.

230ci & 250ci both use the same 'block casting numbers' = so, how do you know =
You can remove a spark plug - and "Look at the TOP of THE PISTON " :
Flat top piston = a 230 ci engine
Dome top piston = a 250ci engine

"that is for original engines ; but these are older motors (and some things do change) " .

jim

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went back and forth with several other people in another forum. I gave them all the numbers. H174=Model year 1965, 3850817=230 or 250 CID, F0819TA=(I think he said ) 230cid 145hp Truck. Tranny is not power glide and has water cool lines. Also a 1979 HEI dizzy won’t work in a 1972 in-line 6 but does in a 1965 (makes no sense). If you come up with something different, please let me know. I already bought plugs that don’t fit the motor cause I thought it was a ‘72.

·
3,970 Posts
Early gas tank evap collector . Hoses missing. Highly recco all service manuals for your ride. Assembly books too can be invaluable info resources.
Can't really tell if the hoses are missing as all the connections would be under the car and not visible in that picture. Your gas tank will have several nipples on it also, plus a charcoal canister in the engine compartment on the driver's side of the radiator support.

·
3,970 Posts
Not necessarily needed, but it does not affect performance keeping it and I'm pretty sure you can still get the tank with the nipples as a reproduction. I took mine off and switched tanks when I ran a carb, but when I went EFI I found a new charcoal canister and put the venting back in.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts