Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
So 165 was the widest you could go? Or just your preference?
It's not a matter of preference but a matter of proper fit and safety.

If you notice, the tire has a slight crown. This will give it the proper contact patch.

If you go narrower, the wheel protrudes, the sidewall has to stretch, the bead area is compromised and the tire's rolling on it's outer edges.

If you go wider, the sidewall is pulled inward, the bead isn't seating as it should and the tire's rolling on a small contact patch in the very middle.

Now you could compensate and correct the contact patch by adjusting air pressure but that becomes a bigger safely issue than the one you're trying to correct.

Just put the proper size & width tire on the proper wheel for the car.

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
Here's a picture (I stole:D) of a tire that is too narrow for the wheel...........

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's not a matter of preference but a matter of proper fit and safety.

If you notice, the tire has a slight crown. This will give it the proper contact patch.

If you go narrower, the wheel protrudes, the sidewall has to stretch, the bead area is compromised and the tire's rolling on it's outer edges.

If you go wider, the sidewall is pulled inward, the bead isn't seating as it should and the tire's rolling on a small contact patch in the very middle.

Now you could compensate and correct the contact patch by adjusting air pressure but that becomes a bigger safely issue than the one you're trying to correct.

Just put the proper size & width tire on the proper wheel for the car.
Ok so 195 or 205's are too wide for 3.5 rim on a 3rd gen Nova.

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
Ok so 195 or 205's are too wide for 3.5 rim on a 3rd gen Nova.
A 195 tire has between 7-1/2" to 7-3/4" of tread width and should be on a 5" to 6-1/2" wide wheel.

A 205 tire has between 8" to 8-1/4" of tread width and should be mounted on a 6" to 7-1/2" wide wheel.

Another thing that is important to consider is the load rating. Load ratings are clearly stamped on the sidewall of any tire. The rule of thumb here is that both front tires (or both rear tires) need to exceed the weight of that axle with including it's load. In other words: If the front of a vehicle weighs 1340 lbs. and is capable of another 350 lbs., the tire's load rating needs to be at least 850 to 900 lbs. Here is a good chart for that: http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoLoadIndex.dos

·
Registered
798 Posts
I ran 195's on my 3.5" Welds for a season with no trouble or goofy wear.The car actually tracked and steered way better than the 165 pizza cutters that were on previously which also needed a ton of air to maintain shape.I now have the same 195 tires on 4.5" Torque D's and it's about the same.I like the old style look of a tire kinda squished on a skinny rim.Rears are 325/50 on 8" Torque D's and look better than than they did on a 10" rim.Gasser style.I'm going to figure out how to post pictures come hell or high water.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts