Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I was wondering does can anyone tell me whats the difference in starters? I know there are 153 tooth, and 168 tooth flywheels. As well as a 168 tooth starter with a staggered pattern. I thought that the inline pattern on the block allow for the same starter to be used, but the holes determine if it's for a 153 or a 168 tooth flywheel.

But I frequently see ads for starters that say 153 tooth flywheel only.

Why would that be?

Are some starters made so that they would interfere with the block if it were in the other position?

Has anyone here ever had an inline pattern starter not fit one way or the other?

Thanks.

-Russell

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
The bolt pattern on the block is universal.

the starter head is what makes the difference.

Straight across bolt pattern is: 2 long bolts for 168, one long one short is 153

Staggered aluminum in 99% of the time is 168

There are cast iron staggered that work for both. Most for 168 tooth.

Most 153 tooth starters on V8 are high torque they need to power to turn the small flywheel. (the bigger 168 tooth flywheel makes turning the engine easier)

Most 168 tooth are standard unless they are BBC. And most BBC starters have the cast iron nose with High torque.

AL

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Big Al.

I was just wondering if I bought a mini starter for a 153tooth if I would have a problem installing it into a 168tooth (straight pattern) big block.

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
Thanks Big Al.

I was just wondering if I bought a mini starter for a 153tooth if I would have a problem installing it into a 168tooth (straight pattern) big block.
Most Mini Starters have mount holes for both.

Al

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
You can tell the high torque starters from the normal ones by where the copper strap comes out of the case to mount to the sol. The high torque ones are farther away from the sol. and need the spacer on the screw to mount it.
Also the cast iron noses that I have seen use a different length mounting bolt. Its in between the long and short mounting bolts for the alum. nose.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts