Chevy Nova Forum banner

81 - 100 of 106 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
Ok Im glad the people on this site are on the same page as me. It sounds as if my plan is the same as Mikes.

1 relay for speed one. One for controling high speed (75a) and one that will turn off activation circuit to low speed when high kicks on.

·
Premium Member
5,820 Posts
Who has the Mark VIII fan?

Granted that my engine builder is staunchly on the mechanical fan side of the fence, and the logic behind that choice is sound, I decided to take a chance on an ebay Lincoln Mark VIII fan, mostly because of all the good internet buzz about the big f*rd fans in general. Worth a shot to test it out, but I always have the option of re-selling it. Good thing is, the built in shroud is the exact dimensions of my radiator, fitting just inside the 19 x 22" core area, so it should be efficient. I found out only after bidding that this is the 93-96 fan, which turns at half the speed of the 97-98. Two questions:

Should this fan be adequate to cool a street driven 350, even if it's not the higher speed version?

Can I connect it directly to a battery to test it, or is a relay required? Sorry for my electrical ignorance.

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Excellent idea and great work Paul. There certainly has been a lot of buzz around these fans lately. That will make people research much easier.

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
Do a search on "taurus fan" in the electrical section. I'm not a moderator in this section so I can't merge the posts into Best of Tech. If baby deuce or joey T sends them over I can store them there.

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
the problem is I'm not as good of an electrical guru like Mike is. I did a search and there seemed to be lot's of good bits in various threads. I need someone to review and edit them and split them out of the home thread and into a new thread. Basically all the "how to wire in relays and sensors" posts and anything not already covered in Powertrain. Once they are all together then send them over.

·
Premium Member
938 Posts
I sent over all the relay stuff, but I did not find much on the fan. I screwed up and sent everything to performance, so you will have to move it around a bit. If you want anything else, just give me the thread name and I will move it over.

Jack

I just went and checked the performance section, I thought the move would put them on top, but instead it mixed the moved threads in with all the rest. I will copy them again into the best of tech section.

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
I had to revise the schematic to rectify a Back feeding issue. Feel free to compare fixed schematic to the one in Custom Jims post above...

This is My (Pro-touring72) own schematic redrawn By RUBES on www.Pro-Touring.com

·
6,489 Posts
I had to test a fan for Greg_R_63 a week or so ago and I had seen some replies about using a 75A relay I wanted to see what I could design or have as an idea for others. Below is what I made.
I ordered an 80A relay from one of my suppliers. I then modified an ANL fuse holder to make the assembly more one piece. The ANL fuse has had the ears bent at a 90 degree angle to make the assembly more compact. The ring terminals accept 8 gauge wire and the ANL fuses can be purchased in a 60A or 80A size. They also make larger ANL fuses but you don't want to fuse larger than what the relay can handle.
Jim

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Tauras Fan on stock 66 Radiator

Has anyone put a Tauras fan on a stock 66 rad. According to the measurement I have I dont think it will fit. The rad. finn section on stock 66 rad. is 24 wide x 15 1/2 tall. Somewhere I got some measurements for Tauras fan and they were 24x19. The 19" part is going to be the problem. The inlet to my rad. is in the middle top and the outlet is lower pass. side. If anybody did use this fan on a 66 rad. did you have to do some trimming on the shroud to get it to fit.
I have located 2 of them and was going to install one this week while on vacation. So please let me know this would save me a trip to the salvage yard.
Thanks anyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!:chev:

·
Registered
879 Posts
T. Jerman said:
Has anyone put a Tauras fan on a stock 66 rad. According to the measurement I have I dont think it will fit. The rad. finn section on stock 66 rad. is 24 wide x 15 1/2 tall. Somewhere I got some measurements for Tauras fan and they were 24x19. The 19" part is going to be the problem. The inlet to my rad. is in the middle top and the outlet is lower pass. side. If anybody did use this fan on a 66 rad. did you have to do some trimming on the shroud to get it to fit.
I have located 2 of them and was going to install one this week while on vacation. So please let me know this would save me a trip to the salvage yard.
Thanks anyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!:chev:
I know I have seen taurus fans posting on here before...do a search and I think you can find something on it...in fact...that is what I did and here is what I found...hope this helps!

http://stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24850&highlight=taurus

http://stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28540&highlight=taurus

http://stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25529&highlight=taurus

·
Registered
730 Posts
awesome picture of the schematic. Does anybody have any part numbers for the relays? The two 40amps look like standard 5-10 dollar guys but the big one I don't know about. Im thinking of something to ask for when going to the not so good part stores. You know the ones where you need to tell them what kind of shoes you have on as well as if the rear windows are power in order to get an oil filter :D

arndog

81 - 100 of 106 Posts