Chevy Nova Forum banner

21 - 40 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
fan

I just installed the lincoln mk 8 fan on a summit alum rad and it has about a 1/2" clearance to the waterpump. I installed it upside down so the mtr is to the drivers side.I think the taurus fan is the same .BTW my car is a 73 .

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
Mines a 65. Im not sure what year the fan is from, the part number on it is E8DE8146AB. I found it in the trunk of a 89 taurus with a 3.8 It does look kinda different from the ones I see listed on ebay. Im starting to think that the one ive got maybe off of something else. Ive got pics, but I dont know how to post them. :eek:

·
Registered
9,964 Posts
You'll need a short water pump to fit a Taurus fan in a 65. We have about 1/2" clearance between the short Edelbrock pump and Taurus fan in the 64.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Didn't read the other posts, but I've got the Taurus fan on my PHR aluminum radiator (thicker than stock radiator) with a Stewart Stage II long water pump. There's about a 1/4" clearance, but I'm not worried as I knew it would be tight.

Ah, just read the other posts. Sorry it didn't fit for ya.

Matt

·
Registered
209 Posts
For the guy that asked about the 3.0 vs 3.8, out here in Cali they have the big fans on the 3.0 wagon taurus, I just got one off a 95 wagon, 3 wire unit and I trimmed it and it fits and cools very well. These fans are 2 speeds, I tried the slow speed wire and it cooled fine today in stop and go in 90 degree weather, it ran about 190 on the slow speed stopped in the sun, and it ran about 170 with the high speed on, but the high speed pulled too much current for my 30amp relay, so im leaving it on the slow speed since it cools very well. I use a Howe radiator 18x22 core, email me if you need pics. Thanks

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
That's good to hear. I don't know how to get the high speed (or maybe I have the high speed and can't get the low?). There's just too much wiring for me, but there's two 40 amp relays and an inline fuse for the manual switch, and the wires are really well connected. They've all been soldered and have shrink tubing on them, so I'm pretty sure everything is wired up correctly (especially since when I turn on the switch, the fan comes on). Maybe I'll post back the wiring setup and see if I can figure out how to get two speeds.

Thanks for the help.

Matt

·
Registered
209 Posts
SuperNova69 said:
That's good to hear. I don't know how to get the high speed (or maybe I have the high speed and can't get the low?). There's just too much wiring for me, but there's two 40 amp relays and an inline fuse for the manual switch, and the wires are really well connected. They've all been soldered and have shrink tubing on them, so I'm pretty sure everything is wired up correctly (especially since when I turn on the switch, the fan comes on). Maybe I'll post back the wiring setup and see if I can figure out how to get two speeds.

Thanks for the help.

Matt
As I recall (just put mine in last weekend) the fat blue wire is the high speed circuit, and the black/red thinner wire is the slow speed, and the big black wire is the ground. And mine came with 2 circuit brakers that are mounted on the fan, one a 20amp the other a 40 amp 20amp being the low speed, and 40 being the high speed. Be careful with the high speed circuit, you may want to run a 70amp relay direct off your alternator BAT terminal (make sure it's a mega amp alt as wel, I have a 130 amp one) to feed the high speed circuit, it really pulls the amps, and even fried a 10 guage wire on mine, so I need to run a high amp relay direct to save the wiring, and the fan comes with 8 ga wire for the high speed circuit so I would run 8 ga straight to the relay then fan to be safe, those suckers pull some major amps, but they work very well! And the Taurus has a high amp relay if you can grab it with the fan, they mount it right above the fan from what I could tell, oh and they have that nasty F word on them so keep some black paint handy.. lol Later
Derek

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Guess I'll have to go look at the wiring then. I got mine off eBay and it came pre-wired to two 40 amp Bosch relays. It had tags on each wire saying where it went, so I just hooked it up according to the "directions" and so far it works when I flip the switch.

I'd really like to know if I'm getting the low or high speed, though...it's driving me mad... :D

Guess I'll go out there today since I don't really have anything better to do. :D

Thanks.

Matt

·
Registered
75 Posts
? For Mike @ Taurus fan

Mike I researched the Topaz switch, they have one at Advance Auto Parts part # TSU 83 for a 92 Topaz 3.0 didn't have info. on what temp it was, has a 2 pin connector. What do you think??? is this the one??? Thanks; Chris

·
Registered
9,964 Posts
The one I used was off a mid-80's Topaz and actuates at about 205°. I don't recall the exact number, but some stores have catalogs of their switches that show the actuating points. I'm in Portland right now and don't have access to my usual sources. I think I kept the box it came in so I could get another one.
If you have one already, put it in some hot water and test the actuation point. If it fits what you want to do and will screw into your sensor location, hook it up.

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
cooling fan

im switching a bunch of things on my nova and have had okay luck with permacool's 1900 cfm fan..i used an original 1970 nova fan shroud but have a 31x19 griffin aluminum radiator instead of the stock 27x19 radiator..im not sure if im pulling enough over the rad cores so i was thinking of purchasing something bigger....

what have you guys had luck with..cfm? dual or single fan? and does it come with a shroud?? please any help would be great

car is: 1970 nova, sbc, no a/c, and arizona heat!

thx.strt

·
Registered
272 Posts
I am using a Flexalite 12" part number FLX-110. Its attached directly to the stock radiator and no shroud. Seems pretty small to cool a mild 350 but it nevers gets above 185 at a standstill. And keeps at 170 while cruising. And its been a constant 110 outside here in phoenix.

·
Registered
9,964 Posts
We use a Ford Taurus fan off a 3.8l engine, a 2-speed fan that moves a ton of air.

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
ive heard of that before but if i want one i have to find them in a junk yard.new from ford has been discountinued

i work for dodge and we have been selling the viper fan modules.a local shop has been using them on turbo cars and they say they work great..but not sure if i wanted to go that route..

im still all ears!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have just finished installing the Taurus fan in my 67 wagon.(short water pump) I used the universal Summitt Alum. Rad.. To mount the fan to the rad. I made (2) metal tabs at the bottom to fit into molded indentions of the fan shroud and did the same at the top, real easy. Used the $17.00 fan controler from Flex a lite or Hayden (can't remember) and bosch relays..2 for low speed and 2 for high speed..Have not road tested yet, but in the garage works great...Also if you don't want to go the junk yard route, check Ebay....Chris

·
Registered
9,964 Posts
strtlegal said:
ive heard of that before but if i want one i have to find them in a junk yard.new from ford has been discountinued

i work for dodge and we have been selling the viper fan modules.a local shop has been using them on turbo cars and they say they work great..but not sure if i wanted to go that route..

im still all ears!
There's millions of them around here. We recently bought 10 of them on half-price day.

21 - 40 of 106 Posts