Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so back in 1969? Hurst shifters came out with a new floor mounted automatic shifter. Chevy teamed up with Hurst, people would send in what they thought the new name of the shifter would be the winner would receive a brand new 1970 Nova. this shifter was a "his/her" or dual gate shifter meaning you could drive it like a regular automatic or switch over to manual.
the shift pattern went basically like this..

P
R
N
D 3
S 2
L 1

Anybody have one?
what was the final name of it?
where can you pick one up at?
did it work well?

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
I always new them as dual gate shifters, I had one back in the day, ebay is probably your best bet.

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
i have herd them called his and hers shifters too ......not going to say what side is his and what side is hers, i know better :D

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Slapstick is another one I've heard too.

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
that shifter was in a Oldsmolbile 442 We had one a 1970.
it was not a Hurst edition but it had the hurst shifter.
You had a lockout gate, moved the shifter over and it became a ratchet for 1-2-3 shift.

My wife to this day gives me hell about that car. (Selling it)

It was a option for Buick GS also, I am not sure about other makes.

I think it was the original Hurst Dual/gate.

AL

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
I believe Pontiac's used them too.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
so back in 1969? Hurst shifters came out with a new floor mounted automatic shifter. Chevy teamed up with Hurst, people would send in what they thought the new name of the shifter would be the winner would receive a brand new 1970 Nova. this shifter was a "his/her" or dual gate shifter meaning you could drive it like a regular automatic or switch over to manual.
the shift pattern went basically like this..

P
R
N
D 3
S 2
L 1

Anybody have one?
what was the final name of it?
where can you pick one up at?
did it work well?
Sounds like a great shifter. Funny how all things come back around. Both my newer cars have a similar feature. Regular drive mode or through the main gate up and down or side shift it over to a side gate and its click shift. Meaning you click it once for for each gear change, click forward for up shifting and click back for down shifting. Its all electronically controlled.

Now on my nova I have a B&M hammer shifter thats also a dual mode shifter. You can operate it as normal, straight gate shifter. But it converts to a ratchet shifter too. In ratchet mode you push forward (or back) to the stop and it shifts, after you shift to the stop and release it comes back a lil bit and resets the ratchet so you can just bang in a new gear. Kinda neat. JR
http://www.bmracing.com/PRODUCTS/Performance-Automatic-Shifters/Hammer-Shifter

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i think your right it might be the autostick

and yea i know the gate shifter in the Pontiac but thats not the one im thinking about. the one im thinking about look like it was a stick shift but its actually a automatic. its mounted on the floor it has a boot around the bottom like a stick shift..

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
i think your right it might be the autostick

and yea i know the gate shifter in the Pontiac but thats not the one im thinking about. the one im thinking about look like it was a stick shift but its actually a automatic. its mounted on the floor it has a boot around the bottom like a stick shift..
Hurst Indy matic 2

This link Page 24
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/yhst-53601346160019/hurstfullcatalog.pdf

http://www.ajusa.com/details/Hurst-5060001-Indy-Matic-1/265/HUR/0/5994551

Al

1 - 11 of 11 Posts