Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
20190630_075449.jpg

Does anyone have a list, check off list, etc. for putting a car back together?
Some of you guys have done it so many times you can probably do it with your eyes closed!
I imagine that certain things should do done before others for ease of assembly.
This is a first for me and I'm probably in way over my head!!!
'75 body with a '65 327 and th350 (why a 327. Because the 350 I bought turned out to be a 305 and the 327 was available for cheap.)

·
Registered
386 Posts
Without getting too detailed, I would simply say; Start in the middle and work your way out. That way yoy shouldn't have to remove anything you already assembled to add something you forgot. Personally, I would start with the motor. Install it, including the exhaust manifolds, and the intake, plugs and wires. Install the engine wiring. The carb and air cleaner can be added later. If you can find someone close who owns an identical car, take a good look (pictures) to see what becomes "hidden" after assembly. Good luck, and document the assembly with pictures.

·
Registered
205 Posts
It looks from your pics like you are only replacing the engine. Assuming you're re-using the same tranny. If so, it's not too much work. Re-install the engine and tranny as an assembly like TheDez stated. Take it slow so you dont crush the distributor against the firewall. Install your fuel lines and engine wiring harness, and core support with radiator.

Start the engine, (make sure it's in park and use just water in the radiator). If it's a newly built engine follow proper break in procedures using oil with high zinc content. Adjust timing, and carb. If everything goes well, and no leaks, drain the water and replace with proper coolant.

Install any vacuum hose to your brake booster and front/rear brake lines to the master cylinder. You can bleed them now that there's alot of room.

Fenders are easy to bolt on, run your front body wiring harness.

Carefully install the hood with help.

Hope this helps. Mostly, take your time, go slow, ask alot of questions, take alot of pics, and DON'T GIVE UP. It can be frustrating but keep in mind, it's supposed to be fun and it's about the journey also, not just the destination.

Keep us posted

·
Registered
423 Posts
You're going to get a ton of advice from this request and all of it will be good. Pick what applies and works for you.

In a perfect world you would fit/align your car shell (body components) together then have the body prepared and painted before doing anything else. You likely don't have that patience or luxury. Most of us don't.

Not sure all the plans you have in store so I'll throw 'em out there and you can pick 'em over.

So my advice is to complete ANYTHING that may require grinding/welding done first. Then get your suspension and wheels back under her followed by the brakes and then have a go at your engine bay, transmission and radiator/front clip. NOTE: Do not install sub-frame connectors until car is complete if they are the weld-in type. Car needs to be weighted properly before sub-frame connectors are welded in.

I then suggest you have ALL of your 'hidden' interior work complete before you install any heat/noise treatments, carpet, seats, door panels or glass ( I see your windshield is in - hope your headliner is good). Do all your dash & interior wiring (dome/courtesy) wiring as well as any fuse wiring for the engine bay and tail section wiring, any pedal (gas/brake/cutch, console/shifter work, heater core, controls & ducting, radio, dash pad, even your inside of door work (regulators, etc ) before installing the noise/heat treatments, carpet, seats or glass.

Next I'd do your Headliner, package tray and sails. If you're installing new speakers, do them and wire them now.

Once you get the carpet in, use an old socket (1/2") to create holes for the various bolts that go through it. BE CAREFUL! Using a drill n' bit will pull the pile out of the carpet so fast ...... Using an extension or something similar, heat the socket with a propane torch then place it on the carpet to make the relief (hole). Works like a charm! Learned that trick from one of our members here on SNS!
Hold off the permanent install of the seats and mounts for as long as you can. I can promise you, you will be on your back under that dash again before your done.

Exhaust is next followed by Fuel - gas tank and lines. I'd go in that order to allow elbow room under car at the rear as you negotiate the new mufflers and e-pipes. Do the Parking brake cables after the exhaust.

Good luck Westw and keep reading other Members sage advice coming your way!

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Anything that involves the firewall before you install engine... Things like heater core, plugging holes in firewall,anything under dash that requires easy access to firewall, or any underhood wiring that would be easier before engine install. Also if you would ever want to install AC now would be the time.

·
Registered
72 Posts
You're going to get a ton of advice from this request and all of it will be good. Pick what applies and works for you.

In a perfect world you would fit/align your car shell (body components) together then have the body prepared and painted before doing anything else. You likely don't have that patience or luxury. Most of us don't.

Not sure all the plans you have in store so I'll throw 'em out there and you can pick 'em over.

So my advice is to complete ANYTHING that may require grinding/welding done first. Then get your suspension and wheels back under her followed by the brakes and then have a go at your engine bay, transmission and radiator/front clip. NOTE: Do not install sub-frame connectors until car is complete if they are the weld-in type. Car needs to be weighted properly before sub-frame connectors are welded in.

I then suggest you have ALL of your 'hidden' interior work complete before you install any heat/noise treatments, carpet, seats, door panels or glass ( I see your windshield is in - hope your headliner is good). Do all your dash & interior wiring (dome/courtesy) wiring as well as any fuse wiring for the engine bay and tail section wiring, any pedal (gas/brake/cutch, console/shifter work, heater core, controls & ducting, radio, dash pad, even your inside of door work (regulators, etc ) before installing the noise/heat treatments, carpet, seats or glass.

Next I'd do your Headliner, package tray and sails. If you're installing new speakers, do them and wire them now.

Once you get the carpet in, use an old socket (1/2") to create holes for the various bolts that go through it. BE CAREFUL! Using a drill n' bit will pull the pile out of the carpet so fast ...... Using an extension or something similar, heat the socket with a propane torch then place it on the carpet to make the relief (hole). Works like a charm! Learned that trick from one of our members here on SNS!
Hold off the permanent install of the seats and mounts for as long as you can. I can promise you, you will be on your back under that dash again before your done.

Exhaust is next followed by Fuel - gas tank and lines. I'd go in that order to allow elbow room under car at the rear as you negotiate the new mufflers and e-pipes. Do the Parking brake cables after the exhaust.

Good luck Westw and keep reading other Members sage advice coming your way!
I think you can still buy assembly manuals or order them from bookstores.
Other than that, i would follow other’s instructions, but i would just put the engine in without pulleys or accessories to allow room for body assembly,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts