Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I just pulled my 230 6 cylinder out of my 68 Nova and Im looking to sell it. But Im not sure what its worth. Bottom end is stock, top end had some valve work done and cams installed. Car/engine only has about 40k miles on it. Only thing this engine needs is a alternator. I also have All paperwork for the work done to the engine. Here are some pics.

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
I've been wondering where you have been . How's the up-grade going ? ?

Your 230 engine - - - - - I don't really know . . . how much . . . nice motor, cool

later , jim

·
Premium Member
3,820 Posts
I just spend ($1,700.00) on a valve job with all new components (hard valve seats, lifters, rockers, etc) on my inline 250.

Head needed a lot of work per machine shop.

I would have saved a lot if I could have found an engine like you are selling.

I think you are in the 3 to 5 hundred range, depending on what goes with the engine.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Most I've seen them go for in my area (Austin) was about a grand. I sold mine for $200.
Was this with all the bolt on items like carb(s), headers, distributor etc?? Seems kinda low.

As a general rule, I wouldn't pay more than a couple hundred for an engine I can't see run.
Paperwork from a machine shop is cool, but that doesn't mean you didn't kill it afterwards (not saying you did, just buyers perspective)
If you had it running on the stand and I could do a hot compression test and a couple other things to verify health, I could see myself handing you close to a grand if its trimmed out like you have it pictured.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Was this with all the bolt on items like carb(s), headers, distributor etc?? Seems kinda low.

As a general rule, I wouldn't pay more than a couple hundred for an engine I can't see run.
Paperwork from a machine shop is cool, but that doesn't mean you didn't kill it afterwards (not saying you did, just buyers perspective)
If you had it running on the stand and I could do a hot compression test and a couple other things to verify health, I could see myself handing you close to a grand if its trimmed out like you have it pictured.
You responded to the wrong person.

·
Super Moderator
3,844 Posts
It depends on what goes with the engine. As shown in the photo, in good running condition with no issues, no way I'd take $500 for it with all the mods. As shown, I'm guessing $500-$1000.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just spend ($1,700.00) on a valve job with all new components (hard valve seats, lifters, rockers, etc) on my inline 250.

Head needed a lot of work per machine shop.

I would have saved a lot if I could have found an engine like you are selling.

I think you are in the 3 to 5 hundred range, depending on what goes with the engine.

·
Premium Member
1968 Chevy II Nova, Central Arkansas
2,003 Posts
With all the accessories you have I think you would get more money and it would be easier to part it out. You may end up having to scrap the block after you sell everything off.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts