Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to clean up my engine compartment and paint before installing my engine....What the best method for cleaning the heavy grease around the gear box, and powersteering??...

·
Premium Member
3,563 Posts
First, scrape away as much of the stuff as you can with a putty knife and a wire brush. Then spray on Castrol Super Clean real heavy and let it soak in over night. Scrub with a scrub brush and warm water. Wear safety goggles, you do not want Super Clean in your eyes!

Before you paint, wipe everything down with wax and grease remover (get it from a parts store or paint shop). It is important to clean, clean, clean or your new paint won't stick.

Last step - rattle can baby! :D I use rattle can paint for everything.

Feel free to check out my build thread. I have done everything using the above method, including the engine and entire engine bay.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
I've also used 409 oven cleaner with good results.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Another great degreaser (cheap too) is Easy off oven cleaner. ONLY if you are gonna repaint, it will attack paint too. JR

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First, scrape away as much of the stuff as you can with a putty knife and a wire brush. Then spray on Castrol Super Clean real heavy and let it soak in over night. Scrub with a scrub brush and warm water. Wear safety goggles, you do not want Super Clean in your eyes!

Before you paint, wipe everything down with wax and grease remover (get it from a parts store or paint shop). It is important to clean, clean, clean or your new paint won't stick.

Last step - rattle can baby! :D I use rattle can paint for everything.

Feel free to check out my build thread. I have done everything using the above method, including the engine and entire engine bay.
Great job on your build...and thanks for the info...

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Engine bay cleanup..

I use a mixture of kerosene and dish detergent....basically the same thing as Gunk in the can. Let it soak and then scrub with a stiff parts cleaning brush.....I then use the pressure washer to get most of the stuff off. There will always be some baked on crap in the small areas that needs more elbow grease. I also use some carb cleaner/brake cleaner spray for really tough areas...wash and rinse. The wax and grease remover is a must before painting.....the cleaner you get it the better it will look. Here is a recent before and after on the 69 granny car. If you look at my most recent thread you will see the painted and detailed engine...

wilma

Attachments

·
Registered
701 Posts
what kind of paint did you use on the frame and firewall and what color
was it. got mine cleaned today and fixing to paint.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I think Easy Off in the blue can works great - it's the fume free stuff.

I've used por 15, eastwood chassis, zero rust, powder coating, and plain old Rustoleum 7777. I think por 15 is great if prepped properly. I PC'd the small parts and of course it's super tough. I think epoxy primer with a good top coat would be good as well, just never tried it.

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
paint..

what kind of paint did you use on the frame and firewall and what color
was it. got mine cleaned today and fixing to paint.
I used SEM Rustshield Black....it covers great with spray gun or you can even use a brush. We mixed a second batch using their gloss enhancer/hardner to paint the rad. support, brackets, inner fenders, air cleaner, wheels, etc....the stuff is like powder coating when it dries...tough as nails.

wilma

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
I used Oil Eater on all of my engine bay work, you can buy it at Costco and its biodegradeable so no toxic fumes. :yes:

·
Premium Member
3,563 Posts
I used Oil Eater on all of my engine bay work, you can buy it at Costco and its biodegradeable so no toxic fumes. :yes:
Have you tried Castrol Super Clean? I've used the Oil Eater stuff, and it works great on my BBQ, but didn't hold a candle to Super Clean for engine grease and underhood filth. Just my experience.

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
Simple Green!!

Stains nothing~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!

Kills nothing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

100% straight, apply when engine is dry. Do not pre-rinse.

Al

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Another great degreaser (cheap too) is Easy off oven cleaner. ONLY if you are gonna repaint, it will attack paint too. JR
I used this on the bottom of my '69 Nova. WOW! This works great, but make sure not to make ANY skin contact. I had some interesting scabs on the side of my head because it ate my skin. Get a scraper and some cardboard on the ground underneath.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Simple Green!!

Stains nothing~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!

Kills nothing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

100% straight, apply when engine is dry. Do not pre-rinse.

Al
just don't let it set for too long on a painted surface. somehow it penetrated the paint in my engine bay and the paint peeled up.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
I used this on the bottom of my '69 Nova. WOW! This works great, but make sure not to make ANY skin contact. I had some interesting scabs on the side of my head because it ate my skin. Get a scraper and some cardboard on the ground underneath.
Yeah, caustic as hell. I used it alot for some of my old machinery rework. What couldnt fit in the 25gal boiling pot of TSP and water got shot with easy-off. And this was on some 40-50 year old industrial grease. What I did learn was watch the fumes. And a simple dust mask works. Its not the fumes like solvent but the spray itself, DONT wanna breath that in. JR

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
just don't let it set for too long on a painted surface. somehow it penetrated the paint in my engine bay and the paint peeled up.
Simple green? I have never seen S/G hurt anything, I know if you let it dry, it's hell cleaning off!

Or did you use Green Power?
green Power is like Purple power, it has acid in it.

Al

·
Registered
171 Posts
I had good luck with gunk degreaser. It comes in a gallon can and you mix it with kerosene. I put it in my sand/liquid blaster and used it on my tranny, engine and engine bay. I then followed it with gasoline in the same blaster. It worked like a charm. Not for the enviornmentally friendly but it did the job well. It cant be purchased everywhere. they have it in New hampshire i think, but not available in maine, probably not in CA either. Napa carries it where it is legal
Ben

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
I just sprayed down my subframe with oven cleaner and blasted it with a power washer mixed with a heavy duty degreaser. Squeaky clean now.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts