Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to replace hatch (rusted out) and would like to know what years will swap with a 1973. Also, is there a place on this site that would specify what parts are interchangable between different years?
Thanks, Dann

·
6,502 Posts
Let's see, you can use a 73 or a 74, or a 74 or a 73 or possibly a 73 or 74, I think :D . JK. The hatchlids are a two year only model but you should be able to use one off of a 74 GTO, or a 73/74 Omega, 73/74 Ventura, or the 73/74 Apollo.

The problem you may run into is how well the replacment one fits. These two years have the welded on hinges just like in the doors HOWEVER if you want to remedy that situation, let me know. I made the one half of the hatchlid hinges on my 74 adjustable and it should make it real nice later when it comes time for paintwork and assembly.

How bad is your rust ?. I bought a 74 from Texas and it had minor rust through in the glass channel area only and that was the one I fixed. I bought a donor car from Missouri and the bottom edge, inside and out by the taillights was gone so I cut the bottom half off and had the top half dipped for getting patch panels off of it to fix the better one I had and I still have some of the frame saved if that is the area that is rotted on yours. If the inner structure is rotted then I would search for a donor one in better shape and once you get it have it dipped and fix whatever needs repair. Once that is done apply a rust pevetative paint in the glass channel and inside the lid so any future rot will have a hard time forming.

It would have been nice if GM would have designed the inner structure a little different to where you could cut off the bottom section of the hatchlid and graft on the section from a coupe but i looked at that possibility and it would take too much work.

Another option if you are going racing is Glasstek has a fiberglass hatchlid but it is a skin only (no inner structure) and it is recessed in the glass area for installing lexan. You cannot put the original glass in it as it's not that strong since there is no inner structure but it is an option I took for a 73 hatchback I have.

I think I saw a hatchlid on Ebay in California recently and it was for local pickup only. Maybe check that out too.

Jim

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replys. Mine leaks at the whole bottom of the window. Inside sheet metal is pretty much gone. So the recess where the glass sits is pretty much gone. I have noticed pics of a 74 inside and I can see the sheet metal pattern is a little different. Perhaps to strenghthen the unit. I saw a hatch on Ebay that says it fits 75-79. Don't know if it was available in those years.
Dann

·
Registered
475 Posts
dansker said:
Thanks for the replys. Mine leaks at the whole bottom of the window. Inside sheet metal is pretty much gone. So the recess where the glass sits is pretty much gone. I have noticed pics of a 74 inside and I can see the sheet metal pattern is a little different. Perhaps to strenghthen the unit. I saw a hatch on Ebay that says it fits 75-79. Don't know if it was available in those years.
Dann
Yeah the hatch was available 75-79 but thats a totally different body style, the hatch is different and wont fit the 73-74 cars.

·
Registered
475 Posts
man_in_black said:
I am facing the same problem, but I may have found a solution. I found a fiberglass repro that may do the job.

http://www.showcars-bodyparts.com/nova.html

About half way down the page it says they have a bolt on fiberglass hatch, but it also says 68-72. I'm yet to call them and verify the description of the part, but it sounds like it may work.

Brian
Careful about those guys...........may want to do a Yahoo or Google search and read some info on them before you order.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts