Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What rear-end could I put in my 63? I have the stock rear-end but was told that would not hold up to 350-400hp. I can swap it out with an 8.2 or 8.5 10-bolt but I am looking for something I can swap without a lot of cutting. Someone told me an s-10 rear end will work cause it is shorter, is this true? I have seen a lot of 10-bolt rear ends for sale but they all seem too long...any help.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I have an 8.2 out of my 69 just laying in my garage. The spider gears broke off, and I was planning on replacing them with a posi but my dad just got a whole rear end instead.

If a 69 axle would fit yours, I'd be willing to let you have it dirt cheap.

EDIT: It's also in San Bernardino, so it's local to ya. :)

Matt

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
It is true

The late 80's S-10 rear is shorter (narrower) than your stocker. The T-10 rear (4WD) rear is a little wider than the S-10 (2WD). The leaf spring perch on the S-10 axle is very, very close to bolting up. You will need to mini tub. I fit 295/50 with this rear. Can use your driveshaft with one of those conversion u-joints (1310/1330). The lug studs are metric (can be changed). Wheel cylinder bore size can be changed to work with stock master cylinder.
The ring gear is a tiny 7.5". I put used Auburn cone posi w/new 4.56:1 gears and bearings into it and beat the snot out of it for a season and never broke it. I sold it to a roundy-round racer for $500 and it's still going last I knew. (he's cheating the rules):eek:
That tiny rear end impressed me (quote THAT!). While manuevering that ASSembly around the garage, one tire would skip traction.
I hear some of the newer S-10 rears are 8.5's which are plenty strong but rare. Something about Typhoons w/5-speeds; comes w/disc brakes? Maybe someone else knows?
Well, I been there done it. Just led to addiction:cool:

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
There are guys racing 400 hp chevy 2,s all the time with the stock rear end ! Keep what you got and see if you can break it!

·
Premium Member
1,925 Posts
I have well over a hundred passes on 8.2" rears in my wagon. Probably 60 or 70 passes on the '64 3.36 open rear that came in my wagon and the rest on the '65 posi rear that is in there now. Stay away from the 62-63 rears, they are 4 lug, also 8.25" jackpot style. Also try to stay away from the '64s. They are also 8.2" salisbury style, (center sections interchange with the '65-'67s) but have different axles than the '65-67s and if you upgrade to a posi will need to change axles too. I have a 5 lug '64 rear in my Garage if anyone in the Cincinnati-Dayton, OH area is looking for one. I'd let it go cheap.

·
Premium Member
11,931 Posts
Go all the way!

Bro!

Your going to spend the bucks to put 300 - 400 hp under the hood and your going to skimp on the rear end? Just go 12 bolt moser with a 3 link and your way good to go. This way, if you decide that 300 - 400 is not enough(Which will probably be the case!)or you decide to put a blower or turbocharge it you got the steel at the rear to keep it up. I assume your going to be dragging it right? If not then I would go with the same moser 12 bolt but either a truck arm set up or upgrade your leafs. Since I'm going to do a full frame build up, I'm going with a an IRS.

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I assume your going to be dragging it right?
No I am not looking to run it on the strip. It is going to be used for weekend cruising, shows, and the occasional street challenge (should it arise). I plan on replacing the stock mono leaf with aftermarket multi-leafs. I don't think I need to go with the full blown moser set up that novanutcase istalking about. But if anyone locally has a 65-67 8.2 they want to get rid of let me know.

·
Premium Member
1,925 Posts
For your purposes I wouldn't spend the money either. An "original" 12 bolt can cost $2,500 or more and a Moser can still cost $2,000. You could do a lot of running on a cheap bolt in 8.2" b/4 you need to spend that kind of money on a 12 bolt. Would it be a good idea? Sure, especially if money is no problem, but most of us do this for fun, and money is always a consideration.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts