Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Keep complete

Votes: 63 90.0%
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a few pictures of a 1964 4 door that I purchased yesterday. I had originally purchased this car to part-out. I enjoyed the last one some much:rolleyes: But when I went to pick up yesterday with the help of Craig (thanks again) it was in much better condition than the pictures made it look. It is original paint, interior, factory replacement 230 or 250, new clutch, etc. It has body damage to the hood and trunk, everything else is very nice for almost 50 years.

It does have a fair amount of DMV back fees, so I will be looking into that on Monday. Runs and drives, smokes a little.

What would you do part or keep complete?

I found this all in the glove box. Protection Plan, 1964 nova survey, original thank you letter from GM for buying the car. Car had never left Manteca, CA purchased and stayed there till yesterday.

·
Premium Member
4,607 Posts
I'd say since its so solid ,and if dmv won't be too much
build it , it has good potential
I wouldn't spent too much on it 'cause you most likely wont get your investment back if you sell it
its a a cheap back up car, reliable , good gas mileage :turn:
but its a good survivor , seems like the only thing left sometimes is a 4 door :rolleyes:
schwabie

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
If its a driver with not that much work to be done to it, Id agree with the crowd, keep the thing. Motors are dirt cheap if you have time to sit, all the major components are there, interior looks great for what it is, and it wouldnt need that much into it if you just wanted it to look good and be reliable. If you can do a large amount of work yourself on it, then you got yourself a nice 4 door.

·
Registered
311 Posts
That’s way too nice a car to part out. I have always been a fan of original survivors. It’s amazing how a car kept in CA all its life can remain rust free. That car would be a rusted mess if was stored here in the North East.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Unless I were building a wagon (which I am currently) and needed pristine parts for it that could not be found anywhere else, that car would have to stay in tact, I would prefer a wagon or two door sedan (my preference) but what a great find!

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
If it were me.. It would depend on the DMV fees, you can some times get reduced fees from them but it's hard and there are many factors the main one being which DMV employee you get and how their day has gone. If you could get those fees low enough I'd flip it or drive it but if the fees are to high I'd part it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Whats the deal out there with the DMV fees, does that not go with the car owner at the time issued, what are the DMV fees?

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
I would part it out....and sell ME the fenders.
Just kidding! Looks too nice to part, unless maybe the whole floor is bad. Looks really solid.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
I'd keep it. doesn't look like there is any rust:no: just fix the few dents, bring it over to Macco for a quick $300 paint job and drive it!:yes:

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
when i bought a '68 C10 a zillion years ago the DMV fees were more than what i paid for the truck... the lady at the DMV tells me what the fees were and i told her to forget it. i would return the vehicle and get my money back... i wasn't going to pay a double amount which would make the price/value of the truck not worth buying...

"it's not my fault the guy let everything lapse, i'm just trying to resurrect this ol'thing for a work truck... can ya help me out a little?"

the DMV lady red-lined a good 95% of the fees right there in front of me and asked... "what about this... is this OK?"

going from over $1000.00 in fees to just under $100.00 i could deal with so i kept the truck.

maybe this is something you can discuss with your DMV.

if it can be registered at not too high of price, i'd keep it... if the fees are just too too much... part it out. ;)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts