Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well im shopping around for those exhaust kits the one with all the pipes and mufflers included the flowmaster ones there about $350 something well anyway what would be cheaper, to get that kit and take it to a shop to have them install it or tell them to make one from scratch? a buddy of mine paid 400 for his x pipes made from scratch with some flowmasters on it with everything 400 bucks, and the kit alone cost almost the same as that..what do you all think?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Check Summit and Jegs. They have a complete kit right now for my '64 for just under $200. Granted the mufflers aren't Flowmasters, but they are turbos that should give good sound. Also, I believe that both sites offer them w/wo the mufflers. That way you can get the kit wo mufflers and just go with the Flowmasters. That way it shouldn't cost you more than $300 total with shipping for everything.

·
Registered
11,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check Summit and Jegs. They have a complete kit right now for my '64 for just under $200. Granted the mufflers aren't Flowmasters, but they are turbos that should give good sound. Also, I believe that both sites offer them w/wo the mufflers. That way you can get the kit wo mufflers and just go with the Flowmasters. That way it shouldn't cost you more than $300 total with shipping for everything.
ya i was looking at those as well but it got me thinking to pay all that or just have a shop make it from scratch to cost me a little less..if i buy a kit then i gotta see the cost to install it all which i think would come out to the same. my friend had his made from scratch for 400 out the door, x pipes ending right before the axle

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
If you have a shop make it, ask if they are using mandrel or compression bent pipe. Most use compression bent which is a lot cheaper than all these kits you see at Summit and Jegs.

·
Registered
329 Posts
If you have a shop make it, ask if they are using mandrel or compression bent pipe. Most use compression bent which is a lot cheaper than all these kits you see at Summit and Jegs.
There is a reason why compression bent is cheaper

the one on the top is compression bent, mandrel bent flows more.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
ooo really? how do you know whats what? if i were to order on on summit how do i know what kind it is?
Usually it's in the description of the pipes and with read "Mandrel bent pipes"

·
Registered
217 Posts
well im shopping around for those exhaust kits the one with all the pipes and mufflers included the flowmaster ones there about $350 something well anyway what would be cheaper, to get that kit and take it to a shop to have them install it or tell them to make one from scratch? a buddy of mine paid 400 for his x pipes made from scratch with some flowmasters on it with everything 400 bucks, and the kit alone cost almost the same as that..what do you all think?
I'd say it depends on wheter you have a lift or use jackstands:D If I could have paid someone $400 w/ mufflers included to do it I probably would have. I recently put the Flowmaster 17129 kit on my '69 and it took about 13 hours to get the old crap off and the new system in. The 17129 kit fit perfectly though and it looks like a pro did it. You will need to get the pipes at the reducer expanded or if you have the right tool, great. Those cheap tail pipe expander tools won't work for this. Be advised that these kits all come with Super 44's even if the catalog description says 40's.

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
It's not very hard to install the Jeg's exhaust yourself. I did it in about 4 or 5 hours when I did mine, and only paid $180 with mufflers. It just takes a little(lot) patience getting the tailpipes around the axles but it wouldn't be very hard at all.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts