Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think it will run guys? (quarter mile) Going to run it just for fun at the track in about 2 weeks.

Here's what I have: 72 Nova coupe, 290hp GM crate engine, stock points dist., Super Stock coil, Super Stock ign. wires, Edelbrock Performer intake and matching carb (small 500 cfm 4 Barrel), cold air intake, flexfan, Hedman long tube headers, 2-1/4" duals with Hooker Aero Chamber mufflers, Turbo 350with shift kit and 2000 stall converter, 3.08 open rear end. That is about it.

Do you think the carb is too small and will it hold me back? Should I upgrade the distributor to HEI? How about the open 3.08 rear end gear? How much will that hurt me?

·
Registered
748 Posts
I guess a 14.8 at 86 mph. I personally have never really cared for edelbrock carbs. I guess there fine on a mild street car, but not on a street-strip one. You will get more performance with a properly tuned holley. Plus there easier to work on, change jets, squirters, accelerator cams, ect. I would recommend a vacuum secondary 650 cfm. 3.08 gears aren't that great on the track. Along with an open rear end. You need posi traction. Get rid of that points distributor, replace it with a HEI. You will be much happier with it. Have fun at the track with it and let us know what it ran.

·
Registered
562 Posts
i think jlowery78 is correct. i ran it on a power speed calculator, i was guessing weight and i got 14.9 at 87mph i was also trying to guess how much you would lose power wise to the ground.:ragtop:

i would put on a performer rpm intake, and a holley 750 vaccum secondary. some might say 750 is to large. my reasoning is a 750 will give you room to play down the road, and a vaccum secondary is only gonna pull as much fuel as needed unlike a double pumper.i would also go with an hei, and i would put on some 1.6 roller rockers. the one six rockers will give you faster valve movement and higher lift. i would also take out the head gasket and put in a .015 one instead. this will match your headers, exhaust, and stall. you can buy the knock off stuff on ebay and do it under 500.00. you would love the power difference.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys for the replies and advice. I'll let you know what happens when I run it. I'll see if I can get a HEI in it before I run it. Looks like a high 14 at around 90mph from what everyone says.

·
Registered
469 Posts
i have the 260hp motor in my 74 w/headers,shift kit,and 3.08 rear it went 15.79 w/a 600 carb. i add a 142 blower and it ran 14.50. your cam is bigger so my guess is 15.20 for yours good luck

·
Premium Member
1,160 Posts
Im gonna say

over 16's

No offense, im in the same boat, and im thinking im gonna run way hi 13's to high 14's and I got gears, Posi, a 4 speed, and supposedly almost 80 horses more than yours, but ill prob run 15's or some crap, then ill really be irked lol

Good luck, take the video camera !

Steve

·
Registered
391 Posts
man,some of you guy's must be doing something wrong???over 16's?! i have a 73 custom with the 250h.p. crate motor,all it has is a old eddy tm-1 intake,600 eddy carb,and 1-5/8 header's and duel 2 1/4 xhaust.the rest of the eng.is 100% stock.i even set the timeing by ear..and it ripped off a 14.7 and a 14.8 at over 92mph! im sure with some tuneing and a larger carb on mine,ill easily get my car down to lo-14's.so im sure with your set-up kalimazoo 72 you'll be in hi 14's to lo 15's.but if you get a decent rear axle,better carb,and ign.you should have no problem's with lo 14's maybe hi 13's.with some good traction and condition's.

·
Registered
391 Posts
also make sure you have a decent tire for you open rear,,or your completely wasteing your time.peg-leg 3.08 is going to kill any decent time's..

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hello to all,

Got my new distributor installed this weekend. (Pertronix Flamethrower with an Accel Supercoil.) Installed new plugs and retimed. Tweaked the carb a little and it is running pretty good. I still have to get a good set of tires before I head off to the strip. Right now if I can it off the line it just spins the right rear. Anyway making some progress. I'll let you guys know the results when I go to the strip. My guess is a high 14 the way it feels now.

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
I'm with 6nova4 high 14's low 15's but like Seattle_Mike said to many variables and the gear with the open diff will hurt you. A nice posi and 3:73 or 4:10 would be great!:yes:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts