Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
And here we go.........

as you will soon see asking about oil viscosity or brand is similar to asking which one is better red heads or blondes or brunettes... :(

Everyone has their favorite and their are so many variables such as weather, application, engine mods it's hard to decide. My opinion is go with a quality oil and change it often. Oil changes is by far the cheapest insurance for a long running engine..
My choice was Brad Penn 10-40 semi synthetic.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
And here we go.........

as you will soon see asking about oil viscosity or brand is similar to asking which one is better red heads or blondes or brunettes... :(

Everyone has their favorite and their are so many variables such as weather, application, engine mods it's hard to decide. My opinion is go with a quality oil and change it often. Oil changes is by far the cheapest insurance for a long running engine..
My choice was Brad Penn 10-40 semi synthetic.[/QUOTE

You mean hair color makes a difference...$hit! I'm not sure which is a bigger can of worms here LOL.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Run 10-30 synthetic in my Wagon. It's not a high hp small block. But does get abused often, as well as being my daily driver. In my round track days, ran straight 30 synthetic. Some nights those engines would see over 8000rpm. I was always told....the tighter the clearances....the thinner the oil and vice versa. Seems the days of throwing 20-50 in anything remotely performance are over. This is because oils are better as well as engine components.

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
And here we go.........

My choice was Brad Penn 10-40 semi synthetic.
Brad Penn 10W-40 for me too, good for flat tappet cams. OK another can of worms opened.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I was running 10-30 conventional Castrol this spring when it was cool then switched to 20-50 conventional Castrol for the heat of summer.My idle oil pressure went from about 35 to 40+ and my idle RPM dropped about 100.I am also running about 10 degrees hotter.I'm not sure if that's due to the reduced air flow in the engine bay since I removed the 4" open fiberglass cowl hood and went to a flat steel hood with a smaller opening for the 2x4 tunnel ram but I'll be going back to 10-30.I think 20-50 may be overkill and just creating parasitic drag with little or no benefit.My bottom end bearing clearances are set on the loose side by my choice.My personal opinion is a bit more oil movement helps cool bearings.I know my idle oil pressure and RPM will go back to the previous level with the 10-30 but I'm curious about the engine temps.We'll see.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
20W-50 Castrol GTX with Wix filter. I'm pretty sure oil weight to be used is determined by the clearances in your motor (i.e. bearing clearances, etc). Looser clearances require thicker oil whereas tighter clearances require thinner oil. When I bought my engine years ago I was told to run 20W-50 in it so that's what I've used, no issues in 13 years of running the engine.

Just use a good quality oil and filter and change it regularly and you should be fine. If you know your clearances are looser run thicker oil, if they're standard then run something like 10W-30 or 10W-40.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
20W-50 Castrol GTX with Wix filter. I'm pretty sure oil weight to be used is determined by the clearances in your motor (i.e. bearing clearances, etc). Looser clearances require thicker oil whereas tighter clearances require thinner oil. When I bought my engine years ago I was told to run 20W-50 in it so that's what I've used, no issues in 13 years of running the engine.

Just use a good quality oil and filter and change it regularly and you should be fine. If you know your clearances are looser run thicker oil, if they're standard then run something like 10W-30 or 10W-40.
I'm not really sure what the clearances are. I'll have to call the builder to see how he builds them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Boy am I late on this topic: Oil. I was searching 10-40 weight motor oil in quarts, seems now only in 5 quart jugs this being May 1, 2021. I have always run Quaker State 10-40 in my 67 Nova SS 327 engine and that goes back to 1972 when I purchased the car. The former smog system had the engine running hot so I figured such an oil would make the engine last and it has. I was contemplating moving to synthetic, but after listening to Scotty, opted not to.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
i run 30 wt penn in my 327 with a wix filter. the engine is bored .060 an i run in weather temps of 30- 85 degrees. i put average of 1600 miles a year an change oil n filter every spring.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts