Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are you using on black cars to get rid of light swirls, then for wax.

·
Registered
485 Posts
wax

If the swearls are to deep you will need to have the car wheeled out. I use IBiz wax then cristal mist detailer great on black paint

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Thw swirl x works great. Also meguiars has a 3 stage wax system you can use the swirl x, then the cleaner wax, then polishing wax, and then a their sealer wax. Any parts store should have them. This not only helps it shine but makes it repel alot of crap that keeps black cars looking dirty

·
Premium Member
1,914 Posts
Black

i have three black cars including my Nova

The only solution is to use the right buffer. i got the car back from my painter and it was a mess, i have a freind that loaned me a porter cable 7424Obital random buffer HOLLY SXXX that thing is the bomb it took every swril and made the paint just POP if you buy the basic one its a $ 129.00 don't get crazy with pads. Use a light compound buff then a Glaze buff it is the BEST tool i ever bought. The body shop guys never want to change they hit everything with the big buffer ...

This is so freindly you can't burn any edges this is what most detailers use.

http://www.autogeek.net/bupo.html

Call these guys they can recommend a good wax

I am going to use this stuff on my car :

http://www.zainostore.com/

If i was closer i would be happy to lend it to you ...read up on it ITS Great

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
i have three black cars including my Nova

The only solution is to use the right buffer. i got the car back from my painter and it was a mess, i have a freind that loaned me a porter cable 7424Obital random buffer HOLLY SXXX that thing is the bomb it took every swril and made the paint just POP if you buy the basic one its a $ 129.00 don't get crazy with pads. Use a light compound buff then a Glaze buff it is the BEST tool i ever bought. The body shop guys never want to change they hit everything with the big buffer ...

This is so freindly you can't burn any edges this is what most detailers use.

http://www.autogeek.net/bupo.html

Call these guys they can recommend a good wax

I am going to use this stuff on my car :

http://www.zainostore.com/

If i was closer i would be happy to lend it to you ...read up on it ITS Great

Thanks,
Steve
Yup I use a porter cable as well. Had it for a few years now. I use lake country pads. The trick to the porter cable is to use small pads when your polishing with a compound. It takes a lot longer to polish out paint with a porter cable than it does with a rotary buffer but it is noob friendly.

Notice the cord to my porter cable in this picture. I detailed my wifes car for her and tried out some 3M compound and mothers reflections synthetic sealant. Turned out pretty good but I prefer Menzerna polish over the 3M.

Look Ma no swirls!

·
Registered
544 Posts
You have quite a bit of oppinions here already but here is mine (keep in mind I own a detailing business so do this DAILY).
I use Optimum car care products www.optimumcarcare.com and sometimes
3M (you can't beat their UltraFina to remove swirls). Now first thing to keep in mind here is you need to have a product that will REMOVE the swirls and halos NOT FILL them. A lot of products out there will actually fill the swirls and without some sealer or such it will wash away and the swirls will be right back there again.
First step is to get you a buffer of some kind (Makita, DeWalt, even a Porter Cable). Then you can get some Lake Country buffing and polishing pads (I recommend the wool/foam blend pad for cutting, the white pad for polish and swirl removing, and then final polish or sealant their black or blue polishing pad). If you need to compound then Optimum is one of the best around IMO if you want low dusting and long working time (even in the sun). 3M works too but dusts a lot and should not be applied in the sun. Optimum makes a basic compound. Use it with the wool pad. When done move to their Optimum Polish, their polish does NOT fill scratches and swirls, it REMOVES them which is what you want. Use the polish with the white pad. When done with polishing I like to finish it up with their Poli-Seal which is a polish and a paint sealant all in one and works great to bring depth and gloss to the paint while protecting the paint much longer than a typical wax will.
That's all it takes is those three steps and then if you'd like you can throw a spray wax on top of it or whatever kind of wax you prefer.
For the pads go to www.theragshack.com or www.obsessivedetail.com (this guy owns both companies and sells Lake Country pads).

If you need anymore clarification on this them feel free to ask or PM me and I will help you out the best I can. Good luck!

·
Registered
544 Posts
BTW, with the method I posted above, you will get water to bead off your vehicle (as long as you dont use a drive through car wash and use degreaser on the paint) for up to a year. Another great product to keep scratches and swirls from comming back is to use good microfiber cloths or mitts and two buckets of water. You can even use a product called Optimum No Rinse which uses only 2 gallons of water to wash a car and will not leave any scratches or marring. It will leave a gloss/shine when done too.
Heck I should be a salesman for Optimum or something haha. I just love the product. I have tried MANY professional detailing products out there and their stuff just seems to be top of the line with great customer service and on top of technology for the latest detail materials.

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
BTW, with the method I posted above, you will get water to bead off your vehicle (as long as you dont use a drive through car wash and use degreaser on the paint) for up to a year. Another great product to keep scratches and swirls from comming back is to use good microfiber cloths or mitts and two buckets of water. You can even use a product called Optimum No Rinse which uses only 2 gallons of water to wash a car and will not leave any scratches or marring. It will leave a gloss/shine when done too.
Heck I should be a salesman for Optimum or something haha. I just love the product. I have tried MANY professional detailing products out there and their stuff just seems to be top of the line with great customer service and on top of technology for the latest detail materials.
mitts hold dirt:eek:Bad news:eek:I use only new microfiber towels..everytime

·
Registered
544 Posts
Not microfiber mitts... Or the Lake Country sponges with the cuts in them. I use both the microfiber mitts and microfiber towels. :yes:

·
Registered
562 Posts
shawn f is on the money. i own a mobile car wash & detail business as well and everything he stated is right on. the things i wanted to add is: i love P21S, and optima products. before wax i always use clay and i use meguiars quick wax as a lubricant just because its cheap and i dont have to order it. then make sure to use a good sealer as stated before, because the sealer will actually protect the paint for an extended period of time. then wax the vehicle. i love P21s it is easy to use and it shines amazing, if you use it you wont ever buy anything else. { never let your wax haze before you wipe it off}

·
Registered
562 Posts
I forgot to add something. the reason for clay if you dont already know is it will remove the wax buildup, and pull out contaminates in the paint. what i mean by contaminates is if you dont use an inline filter in you hose you will get minerals from the water, you will aslo get pollin , dust, brake dust and tons of other things traped under your wax and in your paint. one way of helping this is dont use wash n wax soaps . I use P21S soap, and i buy some bulk soap from the paint supply store that contains no wax{for motorhomes}. the wash n wax soap will cause buildup. for black cars clay the car with a extra fine clay, then P21s has a pre wax that is a cleaner and gloss enhancer, and then wax, or you can seal before waxing also. sealer is more of a paint protector. wax will normally last 6-8 weeks protecting from uv rays. I DONT CARE IF THE BOTTLE SAYS IT LAST LONGER. sealer protects the paint, wax puts the gloss on your paint.

P.S. for show cars and most hotrods i dont use the sealer because there not sitting in the weather or sun a lot. i also wax the car 3 times before it leaves the garage. i feel the sealer gets in the way of a brilliant show shine

1 - 20 of 32 Posts