Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1965 2door HT Helena, GA 31037
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had almost forgot there was some heavy sealer all along this seam and was wondering what you guys used. It was pretty thick stuff. That seam is along the outside of the front clip on both sides and sits behind the spring on the skirt. If I remember correctly is was thick black stuff like roofing tar. It gets pretty hot in that area because of the exhaust manifolds being on the inside of the clip so roofing tar will not work there. And ideas? Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
1963 Nova coupe, Phoenix Arizona
2,008 Posts

·
Premium Member
72, 2 Dr, 383, 700r4
1,319 Posts
I've used SEM product for the usual body seams. It's tough but I do not know how it handles heat.

·
Registered
16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Was thinking of using the SEM 40377 (2k) for this application but found out it required a $100 applicator. After further research it seems that SEM requires a different high dollar applicator for a lot of their products.

Then found SEM 29392 that was suppose to use a regular caulking gun but had to buy a stupid disposable $15 tip. At this point I don't know if I'll ever buy any kind of sealer with SEM on it. Nope, not for me.

I'm sure I'll come up with something that will work and use a regular caulking guy for an applicator.

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm sure that SEM product is good but there is one catch. The instructions say "Place cartridge into the Universal Manual Applicator". I've spent some time looking at a lot of SEM mix products and thought I could buy an applicator and then order some of their other products but soon found out they have a different applicator for just about all the sealers that I wanted to order. As examples, Sem 40377 uses the 70020 applicator, the SEM 39387 uses the 71119 applicator and on and on. I was hoping to buy several different products from them but, at well over $100 per applicator there was no way I could justify using their products.

After a suggestion from a local body shop, I finally settled on the 3M 08367 sealer from Summit Racing that uses a regular caulking applicator. I'll update here after I've used the sealer to see how good it is. Thanks for responding guys!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts