Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once the car is down to bare metal, what should it be protected with? I've read a lot that say's you should put a good epoxy pimer on it, such as Dp 90. And then I've read to just use a good etching primer, or regular primer. Mine will be stripped in about a week, but it will be 2-3 months before it goes to the body shop for painting.
Lot's of conflicting info out there.

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
I'm not an expert but I can tell you what I did and do with my stuff. I use acid etch and wipe the bare metal areas with that. Then I prime it with a 2 part primer. My Camaro took over 2 yrs to complete and it never rusted through and I painted it 8 yrs ago and it still looks great with no problems. While I reprimer it several times during construction the base primer has held up. Maybe some experts will reply and offer professional advice. RM

·
Registered
624 Posts
Either one will work fine, but you may want to ask the body shop which one they prefer. It is a good idea to use the same brand of paint they will be using as well.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I could be wrong however for long term protection use epoxy primer.For short term you can get away with etching primer.I beleive the etching primer is porous so you may still get some light rusting if you wait too long.As novanut said check with the shop doing the work to save them some headaches and maybe you some money.:D

·
Registered
334 Posts
Talk to the shop first and find out what brand of paint they'll be using, and see what they suggest (could'nt hurt) my suggestion would be to spray the car with epoxy to seal the bare metal ,then spray 2 coats of 2k high build primer over that within 24 hours of spraying the epoxy. Now, leave it alone
When they get the car they can sand the 2k down, spray a single coat of epoxy on it, (to seal everything down now that it sat for awhile) and shoot the color on the car.........Done deal ;)

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Etching primer is my first choice but don't wait to long to cover it with an epoxy primer . Etching primer has no UV protector , but epoxy primer does .

·
Premium Member
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Paul NY said:
Talk to the shop first and find out what brand of paint they'll be using, and see what they suggest (couldn't hurt) my suggestion would be to spray the car with epoxy to seal the bare metal ,then spray 2 coats of 2k high build primer over that within 24 hours of spraying the epoxy. Now, leave it alone
When they get the car they can sand the 2k down, spray a single coat of epoxy on it, (to seal everything down now that it sat for awhile) and shoot the color on the car.........Done deal ;)
Now lets say there are some rust issues, or other poor body work that isn't known until it's down to bare metal. Would you still suggest spraying high build primer?
I suspect there is some minor rust issues to deal with. I don't really see any other major issues. Just wont know until it's bare?

·
Premium Member
859 Posts
No to the high build primer if its some fill work to be done. Do the fill
work first then to the high build. As for rust it would be good to cut
or grind it out, if its a very quick fix go ahead and do it. If not
epoxy it all and then come back and sand just the area's away that
have to be sanded for welding. Do the repair and then coat the
repair area with the epoxy.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, so I should epoxy then do the repairs? Or do the repairs then epoxy?
I'm just trying to figure out the correct order, once I get it down to bare metal and find what mystery's lie beneath the 3-4 coats of paint?

·
Premium Member
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Raymond said:
Mcoy is correct.Preparation is everything.......don't cut corners,do it right the 1st time.

I agree with that. That is why I'm trying to figure out the correct order of things? Once it's down to bare metal should repairs be done first?
And until it's stripped I won't know exactly how much needs to be done?
1. Strip
2. Primer
3. Repair
4. Primer Repairs
5. Start preping for paint

Is this the correct order?

·
Premium Member
859 Posts
Sorry I reread my post and it would leave me confused:rolleyes:

Strip
Grind out rust & do metal repair if small, if large wait until after you
epoxy primer the rest.
Epoxy primer
If large pieces are needed go ahead and cut them out sanding only the
epoxy primer needed for the part. Weld in then re-apply the epoxy primer
over the repair area. If the new part is black EDP coated they do not need
the epoxy, just scuff the surface.
Do the fill work
High build prime
sand sand sand
paint

Should get you close but everyone has their own methods.

Chuck

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
chucks plan is basically how i am going about mine and i tried different "courses" but that seems to work best for me as well

·
Registered
597 Posts
DP is a good primer for bare metal, it has excellent etching properties. I think you should use the 401 activator for this, just be sure to let it sit mixed for half an hour before you spray it. The black DP is the best because it shows all of the body problems. You can just sand it off where you need to put the filler and then put a surfacer primer over that. The acid wash stuff really isn't as necessary anymore, the etching primers have all of that in them now,
Dan

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
DP is and epoxy primer, it has no etching properties.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts