Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got my upper and lower control arms out, my new frame mounts, bumper brackets, and I'm pulling my subframe this weekend. I'm going to get everything powdercoated as well but I have the chance to sandblast my own parts if I supply the media and I'm wondering what type of media you would recommend to use on these parts. They will all be power washed before hand with heavy duty degreaser, dry, blasted, and then powdercoated.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Powder coating

The powder coater I use, bakes the parts to make sure any grease is dried out, flakes off and not in any creveses etc, before he media blasts and then powdercoats them. The cost is the same to have him do this process or if I bring the piece already blasted. Most likely because he will stand behind his work only if he preps it, so he does it anyway no matter what you bring him. If this is the case with your guy you may not have to do the additional work and save some money on blast media. Just a thought.
As for what media to use, I have use playground sand which worked fine, White silica sand which worked fine, a black media (coal slag I think) which is very aggresive, great for rusted thicker metal, glass beads which makes a nice finished surface and walnut shells for body panels which doesn't cut as good as the others but will not warp the metal.
Be sure to have fresh air to breath so you do not inhale the dust from these medias (very important). Hope this helps. Take Care!!

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've got an external respirator that I can use to get fresh air while I'm blasting. The bumper brackets have some decent surface rust on them but nothing to severe, the frame and other brackets, conrtol arms and such just have paint flaking off but nothing rust wise. I think I'll just try playground sand or pick up some silica sand.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Sand, etc. must be dry or you will have problems. Water trap on air line is good also. Good Luck

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
blast media

water filter is needed for sure. Your powder coater will probably want to prep them as he is responsible. But if not you can definitely use coal slag (black beauty). Grit sizes vary which also indicate aggressiveness. Sizes are Medium, Fine, and extra fine. Medium is very aggressive for heavy rust (dont use), extra fine is like talc which you need a super small nozzle for. I think you should use about 4 to 5 bags of Fine black beauty (coal slag +/- $10 per 100lb bag). Playground sand is not all sized the same and will break up before it cuts and also clog much more. Fine Black Beauty (size number 2043) is perfect for what your doing and all zeros on the health placard. Silica sand is usually more expensive and not good for you or anything else that inhales.
Glass, Steel shot and Walnut shells are super expensive and for special applications. Some places will blast vehicles with glass and chrome in place with a talcum powder. Try corn cob for electric motor winding cleanup.
The more air pressure the faster the cut. Powder coat guys like a "white Metal" blast which means 100% blast including the mill scale.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts