Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that besides Sun, etc the heat from engine can damage exterior hood paint. I have just purchased the generic OE type kit kit (supermuscleparts.com). But, does not do much for the look of engine bay. There are many universal types of heat insulation & sound deadening adhesive backed material out there. From cheap to very expensive. Some come in rolls but, most are folded. A smooth reflective surface would be best. If I find something that gets good recommendations. Will likely use kit that I bought as a pattern for new material. Best to use?
20210721_102128.jpg
20210721_102907.jpg

·
Registered
7 Posts
I recently tried the below recommendation I saw in an older post. It is just like the insulation used under modern day hoods in a lot of the newer cars. The insulation material is fairly thick and has a firm, good looking textured surface on it. The vendor has many kits for older 60's car hoods. I am very happy with the results and looks after putting a kit on our 1963 Nova cowl hood.

·
5,178 Posts
I think if underhood heat is damaging your hood paint, you are probably going to also have an overheating problem.
There are thousands of hot rods without insulation and I have not heard of damaged paint, maybe if someone has a turbo too close to the underside.
The factory uses the insulator as a sound deadener.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts