Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do you guys know what transmission this 327 comes with?

engine code is S1013XTD
62-67 327 2 bolt main - tsimpson
Small journal 327 2 bolt main replacement engine about 250 HP. - Paul Wright

anyone can tell me what to look for to identify the transmission?

i have read somewhere, that its most likely a powerglide. and if it is i think i'd like to swap it with a 3speed automatic.. anyone know roughly how much it will cost me? is there a factory 3 speed automatic from chevy? how about the aftermarket ones?

I'll be starting research on the engine in 2 weeks and would like to write down how much i'm planning to spend...

the body work is coming along well, check out my post soon at the car projects, will be updating pics. thanks for all the help guys:D:D:D

·
Registered
309 Posts
The only cost id waht you have to give for the trans and converter, you may have to notch the lip off the crossmember(can be done with grinder or sawzall) but the standard TH350 is the same length an splin (on tail shaft ) as the power glide

·
Registered
438 Posts
Don't forget you'll need a different shifter for a 3 speed. Or some aftermarket shifters come with the parts so they can go either way.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't forget you'll need a different shifter for a 3 speed. Or some aftermarket shifters come with the parts so they can go either way.
what do you have on your 67 drag car? would it look alright on a 67 road car?

do you have a pic of it?

so i'm trying to find a TH350 tranny am i right? thats a 3 speed automatic?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Yes, you are looking for a TH350 (Turbo Hydramatic 350).

Here's some pics of what I have, not sure this is exactly the look you're going for. It's a Hurst Quarter Stick. You probably won't have an electric shifter or a line lock button and the wiring to go with them to clog things up. These shifters can be used with either a TH350 or a Powerglide...and more. Plus you can buy a cover for these shifters. http://www.summitracing.com/search/?keyword=quarter stick cover&dds=1 That would really clean things up, at that point I'd say it would look great in a street car.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I see what you mean by buying cover would clean things up. i would like some line locks for mine also... just to be able to mess around, how much would that cost?

why does your car look like a full-time drag car, and still have a head unit?:D do you use it on the road?

your roll cage looks like it will guarantee safety!:cool:

·
Registered
438 Posts
A complete setup for a line lock should be in the $75-$150 range depending on what you buy. A friend of mine bought one once and it didn't come with all the required fittings and I really have no advice on telling you which brand actually comes "complete", I got mine used from my dad. I'd think you could get brake line fittings from any auto parts store though. Do you have a double flaring tool? Can't say it's required but it may come in handy just in case.

I still have the radio in my car because I used to drive it in high school and race it at the track on the weekends. Slowly over time it has been transforming into a more full time drag car but it still sees occasional street duty. Sometimes its nice to get yourself amped up in the staging lanes by turning on your favorite song.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
anyone can tell me what to look for to identify the transmission?
the oil pan shape should be able to tell ya. do a search for chevy transmissions, & it should list the oil pan shapes, then u can reference it to the shape on ur tranny.....

LIL JOHN

1 - 8 of 8 Posts