Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 1994 350 engine that has messed up mains so I'm going to chunk it. Well I was thinking how when I get another block it will most likely be a just a bare block. So when building the new engine I'll have to buy all new hardware and whatnot. So my question is, what should I save from this junk block I have? It has no intake or carb/intake (it was a TPI engine). Otherwiese it is complete from heads down to oil pan. Are there any stock bolts that are pretty much not suited for high performance and need ARP replacements (like rod bolts)? Are the rods worth keeping? pistons? Oil pump? The crank is junk since it over heated.

any comments appreciated:)
-Aaron

·
Registered
151 Posts
do the rod caps have the rectangle pads or are the smooth and round. no pads=powdermetal rods keep those. i replace all bolts, cheap insuarance, why not have the block aligned honed? trashed? the crank should work as a core if nothing else, and you could scrap the block at the same time.
does it have a timing chain cover? you could reuse that!!!:beer: and the bolts!
my 0.02
eric

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
What do you mean "messed up mains". Are the main journal areas so trashed that they won't clean up? What about the cylinder bores?

If the heads are any good, you might keep them, and all the tin is good to keep (oil pan, valve covers, timing chain cover). Not much else I would keep.

Randy (if the crank fried, other parts did too):(

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The engine lost oil and spun the main bearings. The block side journals have scrtaches and grooves in them, and the crank is grooved up as well. My engine guy said that an align hone would clean it up, but he said why not just get a 4-bolt that is already good? He said that by the time I get this 2-bolt block into shape, i would have spent as much money as getting a good 4 bolt. He gave me a salvage company to call and ask about getting a 4-bolt, I haven't done that yet but plan to once i get more cash.

The rods have a square on the caps.

-Aaron

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Why not keep the block and do a liquer kabinet of it or, a living room table or a holow dumy block (cut out everything inside the block)???

You could either lay the block on its end and "stack the bottles 4 on height :D (You have to "dress the cylinder walls to not breake the bottles)

Or stand on the "right way and have 2 rows with 4 bottles..

As for tables Ive seen people here take the block put some wheels in the corners and 2 pistons and rods (assembled) on eatch side thats holds the glas "table" up.. (this way you´ll see the top of pistons where the glas rests and the rods thats attached to the block (you could even have the tabel with the "bar")

Just use your imagination.. :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts