factory disc brakes
POL tubular upper/lower control arms, hotchkis shocks,
2" drop spindles,
stock length moog coil springs for a 72 SB Nova
17x7 4" back spacing rims
215/45/17 front tires.

PROBLEMS

The tires rub at full lock
Tires bottom out in the fender when I hit the lovely pot holes on the California freeways which can be scary

I know nothing about Chevrolet's. This was my brothers car, he passed away 4 years ago and since then I have slowly been going through boxes of parts he bought and putting them on his car because he passed away before finishing.

I ultimately want to be able to drive the car without fear of hitting a pothole and crashing the car. It looks like the bump stops are resting on the frame. (Photo)

Should I remove the 2" drop spindles and put the factory spindles back on?

If you have read this much, thank you for your patience and help.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Looks like the tires may just have too much offset for the width of the control arms. You could try a non drop spindle but it may or may not completely resolve the rubbing issue during normal driving.

You could either trim or remove the upper bump stop to get more down travel so long as the ball joint angle doesn't look terrible. I don't have the upper bump stop on my car.

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Are you sure about the wheel specs..? Could they be 7.5 or 8” wide..? Most of the GM factory steel wheels I’ve had like a 15x7 have a 4.25” backspace. You’re tires don’t seem to be too big. Where are your tires rubbing (making contact) at full lock?

The control arms don’t look bad as far as their attitude relative to the ground. Lowers look just short of being flat or nearly parallel to the ground. But those type of lower control arms do have a built in drop and you have dropped spindles so you could be about 3-4” of drop.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@xxdabroxx and @novathug thanks for responding to my thread. Yes the wheels are definitely 17x7 Boyd Coddington Junkyard Dogs with a 4" backspacing. The tires appear to be making contact on a full lock turn at the outer edges of the tire. It rubs whether it is on level ground or on an incline.

Yes, the tubular control arms do also add more of a drop. So would going with a standard spindle be of any benefit?

I also have not gotten an alignment on the car since changing to the larger wheels. Would that potentially help me with the tire
rubbing?

·
Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
1,607 Posts
I also have not gotten an alignment on the car since changing to the larger wheels. Would that potentially help me with the tire
Yes... If you have too much positive caster, that could be contributing to your tire rubbing issue.
When getting a front end alignment, ask the tech for about .5° neg camber and 5° to 6° positive caster with 1/16" - 1/8" toe-in. Do not use the stock alignment specs for a 72 Nova.

One other observation. For a 72 Nova with stock height moog coil springs, 2" drop spindles, and lower control arms with drop pockets... I would have thought the front end would be sitting lower (fender would cover more of your tire).

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
I have a 72 Nova with the following:
factory disc brakes
POL tubular upper/lower control arms, hotchkis shocks,
2" drop spindles,
stock length moog coil springs for a 72 SB Nova
17x7 4" back spacing rims
215/45/17 front tires.

PROBLEMS

The tires rub at full lock
Tires bottom out in the fender when I hit the lovely pot holes on the California freeways which can be scary

I know nothing about Chevrolet's. This was my brothers car, he passed away 4 years ago and since then I have slowly been going through boxes of parts he bought and putting them on his car because he passed away before finishing.

I ultimately want to be able to drive the car without fear of hitting a pothole and crashing the car. It looks like the bump stops are resting on the frame. (Photo)

Should I remove the 2" drop spindles and put the factory spindles back on?

If you have read this much, thank you for your patience and help.
I'm running 235/45-17's up front on TT wheels, 4 1/4" backspacing I believe. Mine will rub at full lock but I just avoid full lock. It would also rub the top inner wheelwell bolt head on occasion but I replaced it with a nearly flush head allen head bolt. Your one picture looks like that same bolt is rubbing and marking your tire right about where the sidewall meets the tread...? I have Speed Tech upper and lowers and QA1 coilovers. I'm thinking you could use a lighter coil or cut a coil for one thing. That should bring the upper arm up further off the bump stop and pull the front tires up into the wheelwell a bit more. With what you have there it seems like the front end sits pretty high. My upper arms have a lot of room before it hits the bump stops. If those bottom out all the time that would surely affect how your car drives.Your upper arms look really close to the bump stops. I have stock spindles. My tire tucks up in there a lot more than yours. I've autocrossed the car with this setup and it works fine and doesn't rub. I've driven it from PA to Joplin, MO and PA to Bowling Green KY with never an issue. We couldn't use the factory alignment specs at all. I think the rear shims on both sides are completely out and only a couple in front. Guy aligning it knows his stuff. It steers great.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts