1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These are on my engine now
Cylinder Heads- part # 14034808 casting #33417369
1.94" Intake valve , 1.50" Exhaust Valve 76cc Combustion Chamber
while I have Vortecs sitting in the garage.
I need to purchase a column to finish my Church Boys install as my accountant has gotten very tight with my spending. Is there any way to squeeze some money out of the above listed heads or is it a lost cause. I listed the Vortecs in the classified on here but then thought I may be able to get some money out of the old ones AND keep the Vortecs. All I need are gaskets and pushrods. I have a Comp XE274 cam to install later but just thought, I could install the Vortecs for now just to get that other point of compression with my Vortec Air Gap intake and be able to install the 670 Street Avenger I got a smoking deal on. Thoughts StevesNovaSite gurus please..............almost forgot, There is currently a Quadrajet and stock manifold as well.

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
I wouldn't throw them in the garbage. I'd recycle them for scrap metal value. Good for the environment, good for your wallet.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I'd try an ad in a local paper. I doubt anybody would want to pay the shipping costs for those heads. Don't know if this is a fair determination of their value but I bought a pair just like those 10 years ago for $50.

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
I sold mine on here for $75 for the pair plus shipping($120).bm

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys.

After rereading my thread, it seems to not make sense but Im coming off the pain killers. :D (surgery last week)
I guess I'll try and sell em on Craigslist maybe. Ive got .100" longer valves in the Vortecs. Should I be able to just buy .100" longer pushrods?

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not sure, I guess I should take them out and see

I read somewhere about measuring but am not racing or anything and the cam WILL BE a XE 274 (free). Taking it to a trusted shop tomorrow to make sure I can use it. I dont see anything but my untrained eye may be wrong.

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
I read somewhere about measuring but am not racing or anything and the cam WILL BE a XE 274 (free). Taking it to a trusted shop tomorrow to make sure I can use it. I dont see anything but my untrained eye may be wrong.
yes you need to measure them....you need to use a micrometer(I have one you can borrow if you need)Valve geometry is very important...especially the correct push rod length...I went thru all this when I built my motor.
http://holley.com/data/TechService/Technical/valvetrain_tech.pdf
http://www.pontiacstreetperformance.com/psp/valvetraingeom.html
http://www.compcams.com/Technical/FAQ/ValvetrainGeometry.asp
ps...I also have an adustable push rod and soft springs you can borrow to determine correct pushrod length

1 - 9 of 9 Posts