Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
JUST GOT DONTN USING STRIPPEER ON MY NOVA"S ROOF AND I NEED TO KNOW CAN I JUST WASH IT DOWN WITH BAKING SODA AND WATER OR DO I NEED TO GET SOMETHING ELSE , BEFORE I PAINT.:devil:

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
NO, YOU DONT NEED BAKING SODA UNLESS YOU ARE MAKING BISCUITS!!!!! Ummm, are you making biscuits?? Huh, huh??? Cause really, I love them, some sausage gravy YUM!! All caps dude, not needed here. we all wear our glasses. JR

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Don't know about zip strip. I use Rustoleum Aircraft finish remover. Most paint strippers have methylene cloride, methanol, ethanol, mineral spirits and some kind of wax or parrafin. The wax makes a skin so the solvents don't evaporate right away. Holds the fumes so the solvents eat the paint. You can wash it with soap and water but unless you solvent wipe it immediately with alcohol surface rust will start. Without a soap and water wash, once you wipe the paint off, the solvents usually evaporate in a short time. You have to get the wax off. I have used Rustoleum wax and tar remover but I guess any kind of prepsol type solvent that removes wax can be used to clean before priming/painting.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Zip strip

NO IAM NOT BAKING I JUST THOUGHT THE BAKING SODA WOULD NEUTRALIZE ANY ACID THAT MAY HAVE BEEN IN THE STRIPPER, AND ABOUT THE CAPS, I ALWAYS USE THEM......:devil:
AND TO YOU OTHERS WHO POSTED REAL REPLYS I THANK YOU !

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
NO IAM NOT BAKING I JUST THOUGHT THE BAKING SODA WOULD NEUTRALIZE ANY ACID THAT MAY HAVE BEEN IN THE STRIPPER, AND ABOUT THE CAPS, I ALWAYS USE THEM......:devil:
AND TO YOU OTHERS WHO POSTED REAL REPLYS I THANK YOU !
WHAT???? I CANT HEAR YOU!!!! TOO MUCH STATIC. I THINK MY SPEAKERS ARE BEING OVER DRIVEN!!! LOL I DONT THINK THERE IS ANY ACID IN THE STRIPPER!!!!! OH MAN, MY VOCAL CORDS ARE FAILING. ALL THIS YELLING, ARE WE AT THE AIR STRIP??? OH WAIT, IM TAKING OFF MY EAR MUFFS. What the hell, it was just me, I couldnt hear anything cause I had my muffs on still. Try it, take the muffs off. I can actually hear the engine running now, amazing discovery!!! HEY, REMOVE THE MUFFS LOL JR

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
I was yelling because iam in detroit and your in cal......:devil:
Now that I GET!! Crap, all the heavy machinery in car town has got to be noisy. Oh wait, are the machines still pumping out cars?? I know the distance is far. Pull the string between the cans tighter and it helps with the sound :) JR

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Try not using this so much...makes for much easier reading!

I'd thoroughly wipe it down with DuPont Prep-Sol (or equivalent), then quickly get some epoxy primer on the bare metal before it has a chance to flash rust.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
I always use laquer thinner before applying paint. This is what I used in the industry when we used to paint metal laboratory doors and never had one failure.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts