Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have bfg radial t/a on my 67.needless to say they dont give much traction. I'ts a 4 speed street car with about 500hp at the crank,,I dont want to run a bias tire and rumor has it drag radials are not ideal for stick cars..I rarely hit the track but i need a little advantage on the street...ideas? thanks

·
Registered
121 Posts
What is done to the suspension now? (Front and Rear)How big of a rear tire can you fit on the car? How much mileage out of a pair of tires are you willing to accept? Me personally, I run Hoosier Quick Time Pro's which are a bias tire. They are DOT legal and I have driven around quite a bit with them on my 11 second Nova, as well as the 12 second Mopar Wagon I used to own. These are not super fast cars but both work very well with some suspension tuning (front & rear) on the street and at the track.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Mickey Thompson ET Street SS. Great tire. They should provide good traction on the street even with a stick. I used to run the same tires as you, they’re a good tire but eventually at a certain power level they become dangerous. Went to a drag radial and it’s much better.

·
Registered
359 Posts
You sound like a prime candidate for a Nitto NT555R. Although it's listed as a "drag radial", they have fantastic street manners. That's what is going on the back of my car once the BFG's are burnt off.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Anything is better than BFG radial TA's. I have General Altimax tires on my car and they are great on dry pavement and wet. A good 3 season tire and reasonably priced. I used to run the BFG drag radial on my old 4 speed Nova and they worked great, too. If you could do a burn out, they hooked really well. No burn out and they are just a little better than my Altimax's. I think the issue with drag radials and stick shift cars is if they really hook, and you sidestep the clutch, you are putting tremendous loads on the driveline. A wrinkle wall slick will help absorb some of that shock. Most cars on the street don't hook well enough to break things, even with a drag radial.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
You sound like a prime candidate for a Nitto NT555R. Although it's listed as a "drag radial", they have fantastic street manners. That's what is going on the back of my car once the BFG's are burnt off.
Those are what I run. Based on what I read before buying them they are the most "street" of the drag radials. You won't set any drag radial records with them but you'll get great traction and decent life (for a DR).

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I run 315/35/18 nitto nt555r on the back of my car. They don’t hook up at all on the street. I’m a little over 600hp. I figured they’d do better than they do. If I was to do it again I’d go with Mickey Thompson ET streets.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I will agree that a drag radial though not great for a stick car, did act better on my car than the Cooper Cobras I put on to replace them. On a roll, the BFG drag radials spun then hooked and chirped second and third. With the coopers, it spun forever in first and then broke loose again on the 1-2 shift. From a dead stop on the street, I don't think anything will hook.

·
Registered
121 Posts
My quick time pros will hook on the street with a burnout.... leaving off the trans brake and 2 step at 3400rpm.

Just saying, if you want to hook on the street a bias ply tire is your best bet... not so much for driving and wear but this game is full of compromises.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Nitto probably best street tire for a street/strip application.. plus better in the rain than a SS MT or bias ply Sportsman Pro...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts