Chevy Nova Forum banner

61 - 63 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
You might want to take a good look at the shift linkage and be sure it’s working as it should. Be sure that the selector needle reads accurately for the detent positions on the transmission shift arm. Sloppy linkage could be a possible cause.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
@Ericnova and @Nova Thug

Well my uncle is convinced it is the tranny... I still haven't been able to see the problem in person myself and haven't talked to him much myself. I believe it is tranny or torque converter myself just based on the symptoms but I always leave room for my guess to be wrong...

Anyway, my uncle wanted to put a new tranny in the car anyway. He is saying he wants a 700r "performance" automatic tranny. Any input on this? I will start a new post but figured you guys may know a thing or two as if we are headed in the right direction as far as the tranny goes?

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
There a few basic things to look at before we can make any real guesses at what might be wrong. Check fluid level and condition, shift linkage, figure out if it is making the shifts to all 3 forward gears. Is the trans or torque converter making any unusual sounds..?

61 - 63 of 63 Posts