Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to buy a starter. I would like to get the new gear reduction type. Has anybody used them and if so where did ya get it. I would like to pick one up at the local autozone or schucks. But I have no clue what else would use it?

Thanks for the help

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
I might check the local speed shop they might have a few to choose from. They could recomend something for you.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
Dale(teddisnoke) and I both just bought Permanent Magnet factory style starters from a place in Duarte,Cal. $75. spins my 14.5-1 engine like crazy!
And they only weigh 8 lbs!

·
Registered
790 Posts
bowtie0069 said:
Dale(teddisnoke) and I both just bought Permanent Magnet factory style starters from a place in Duarte,Cal. $75. spins my 14.5-1 engine like crazy!
And they only weigh 8 lbs!
What wa the name of the place?

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
Quality Power 2320 Central Ave. #14 Duarte, CA 91010
626-358-0763
It's just a little shop, no site. They sell at Long Beach and Pomona and other Hot Rod type swap meets and shows.
These are identical to what you get from the Chevy dealer for late model vehicles. They have very good power, but don't draw as much load as a conventional starter. Each one includes a "dyno" sheet showing 25 specs.
It is a Delco PG260M 1.7kw model that is used on most late model GM V-8's. There are starters out there with twice the power, but 4 times the price.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I finally did get to add that high-torque, mini starter I always wanted about 2 years ago.

I was going to buy one of the aftermarket ones but I wasn't sure of the bolt pattern of my block. You see, there are 2 styles of bolt patterns, straight across and diagonal. Some blocks are drilled for both but some aren't and I wasn't sure about mine. Most of the aftermarket mini starters are straight across and my starter was diagonal. Without removing the starter I couldn't be sure if my block was drilled for the straight across starter. So to avoid any problems I chose to use a GM starter setup for the diagonal pattern. As it turned out, my block was drilled for both.

GM started using the mini starters in the late 80's and the Performance Parts division have a starter specifically for high performance engines. The part number is 9000852 and it is the started supplied with GM crate engines including the 502 big block. It lists for about $280 at your local GM dealership parts department. Online places like GMPartsDirect.com sell it for about $200 but I was able to find a new, unused one on eBay.com for $75. It's a beautiful part that is almost half the weight of a standard starter (12-lbs vs 22-lbs). It also spins the motor quicker with more torque. The solenoid is also supposed to be able to withstand the heat better but I still kept my Ford remote starter solenoid setup.

The removal if the old starter wasn't fun because it had a heat shield on it making it even harder to squeeze past the headers and trans lines. The new, smaller starter easily slid into place leaving plenty of room for my hands to position it. The only problem I came across was the original bolts were about 1/4" too long due to the smaller starter nose. The solution was to use a 1/4" thick washers as spacers. Now it starts quickly with that new car whir sound and it's even 10 pounds lighter on the nose (every little bit helps).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts