Chevy Nova Forum banner

What starter for Hooker Super Comps?

2K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  64PRONOVA 
#1 ·
I just bought Hooker Super Comp 2243 Headers and I am getting ready to buy a starter.

It says you need the Power Master 9500 with a 168 tooth flywheel. My question is can you use another style mini starter like the Summit brand for about half the price?

#5 ·
Just be sure to get one that has a tapered gear on the bendix. I tried a Wyseco that had a flat gear, and it rubbed. Made a heckova noise, till I found out what it was. There is a starter out called a CVR out. My speed shop couldn't get Powermaster anymore. The CVR is supposed to be on par with the Tilton's.....bout $185.00, good heavy duty starter.

T,

#21 ·
SuperComp 2243 + Powermaster 9500 + 168 tooth flywheel...bolted right on, no mods needed.

Actually, I did make one small mod...the 9500 has three mounting holes, so you can use it on staggered or straight bolt patterns. I tapped the third hole, and bolted my ground cable to it. Thats about as good as it gets for a solid ground connection...

#22 ·
I think dimensionally, 99% of all the aftermarket under-driven mini starters are the same. At least all the ones I've seen are whether they were the expensive models or the less expensive models.

They're nice and clear most obstructions.

The only minus is that your car will sound like a Chrysler starting-up.:D

They all have that under-driven "whine" to them. But they are compact and powerful.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.