Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought Hooker Super Comp 2243 Headers and I am getting ready to buy a starter.

It says you need the Power Master 9500 with a 168 tooth flywheel. My question is can you use another style mini starter like the Summit brand for about half the price?

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Most all of the mini starters will clear. The only issue is you might have to grind off the corner of the mounting pad on the starter itself.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I also used the powermaster, I just did not want to take a chance on the others not working. I'm sure if you check dimensions, the other mini starters would work.

Len

·
Premium Member
4,572 Posts
Just be sure to get one that has a tapered gear on the bendix. I tried a Wyseco that had a flat gear, and it rubbed. Made a heckova noise, till I found out what it was. There is a starter out called a CVR out. My speed shop couldn't get Powermaster anymore. The CVR is supposed to be on par with the Tilton's.....bout $185.00, good heavy duty starter.

T,

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
I just bought Hooker Super Comp 2243 Headers and I am getting ready to buy a starter.

It says you need the Power Master 9500 with a 168 tooth flywheel. My question is can you use another style mini starter like the Summit brand for about half the price?
Why are you running a 168 tooth flexplate?

·
Registered
6,794 Posts
It does matter in an early car, I would never be able to run the big fly wheel with my setup, now with fender well headers this might be O K

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It does matter in an early car, I would never be able to run the big fly wheel with my setup, now with fender well headers this might be O K
The headers say that with the 168 flywheel the PM9500 will work. So I am guessing most mini starters will work.

I am getting ready to find out.:) I ordered a Summit brand mini starter. If it don't fit I will return it and get the PM9500.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts