Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
bought a 70 nova to replace the 71 i sold last month. this one is a big block car but it sits to low in the front and i want to change the springs from the standard small block ones to raise it a little. i was told to use small block springs with a/c that would raise it a little.i am afraid big block springs may raise it higher than i want. right now with a mickey thompson 26x7.50x15 on the front it measures 23.5 to wheel lip. anyone with a big block and close to a 26" tall tire what are your wheel lip measurements?

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
Don't use the BB springs. It will be way to high and way to stiff. Heve those springs been cut that you know of? What are your plans with the car street/strip? I ended up going with trick springs after the stock BB springs that made it sit like a 4X4.

I saw your car on Yellow Bullet (I think) what did you end up getting for it, why did you sell it?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
wanted something a little more ( driveable).found this to good to pass up.nice body pump gas 540 reverse manual trans 12 bolt with 4.11 gears..::D the springs in it now are stock small block one that havent been cut.i got a set of small block with a/c with the car that i am going to put in tuesday nite and see what it does. and yes a good street/strip car that drives decent on the street

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Your other option is Moroso trick spring, but you'll need to know the nose weight. The SB A/C spring may work, I used to use them in my Pontiac GT-37 with a 455.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
I am running stock small block with air springs and it sits just right with my aluminum headed big block.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am running stock small block with air springs and it sits just right with my aluminum headed big block.
how tall is your tire and do you know the height to the wheel lip?

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
BB Springs...

You can check with Eaton in Detroit they offer many different springs....the stock BB spring actually gave the car a slight "nose up" appearance from the factory...this was also true of the small block SS cars. Now I'm not talikng 2"....maybe 1/2 to 3/4 difference at the most. Other options like p/s or aluminum heads will obviously impact this a little. I would use the factory spec. spring for a BB car if it was me....

wilma

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
When I installed factory BB springs in my iron headed 69. The front end sat like a 4X4 and the springs would not move, just tire sidewall flex. Suspension was fully topped out. I vote against them. :yes:

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
I would think with his setup he would want Trick springs, 540, RMVB, 12 bolt, 4:11's :yes::yes::yes:

But he will decide (do the trick springs):devil::devil::devil:

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would think with his setup he would want Trick springs, 540, RMVB, 12 bolt, 4:11's :yes::yes::yes:

But he will decide (do the trick springs):devil::devil::devil:

that seem to be the leading vote getter here at work also..gonna give the trick springs a go...thanks guys

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
Be sure to weigh the car. They had me weigh the whole car, then from the B-pillars forward without you in the car.

Then what I did (after major internet searching) was went to the next lightest spring 47165 for my iron BB, auto, aluminum radiator and W/P all steel front end.

I have this thread going if you want to look at it too...http://stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124518

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Be sure to weigh the car. They had me weigh the whole car, then from the B-pillars forward without you in the car.

Then what I did (after major internet searching) was went to the next lightest spring 47165 for my iron BB, auto, aluminum radiator and W/P all steel front end.

I have this thread going if you want to look at it too...http://stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124518
thanks for the link and info..you guys are the best.:yes:

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
im using stock smallblock springs with an iron 454 with 165 metrics and lip is 24.5" to the lip and sits perfect, i think yours looks killer the way it is. Check out smallblock springs for a 74' nova, these cars are way heavier with that 80lbs bumper and may be right for your older lighter 3rd gen.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i like the way it looks to.:yes: but with the huge tube headers and 3.5 collectors its kinda dicey driving over some roads and train tracks.1" dont sound like much but it will make a huge difference under it..

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
I am running the 165 80 15 tire also and my fender measurement is right at 25 inches. My experiance with the trick springs in the past are that they don't last long before they sag and need replaced. They did on a 65 chevelle anyway, but they sat good for about 1 1/2 - 2 yrs. though.

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
I'm running 205/70/14 in the front. I THINK the car still has the original small block springs in it. It was a small block car original and still has the small block engine mounts - so I don't think whoever swapped engines would have made the effort to change springs either. I just measured it sitting in the garage - floor to top of tire is 24" and floor to center of wheel lip is 24 3/4" This is with a all steel 396, and I have 255/60/15 in the rear, so it does have a rake to it. There are more pics on my cardomain page link if you want to see more...

·
Premium Member
1,270 Posts
One option for this problem is to figure out what the original spring number was for the original ride height. Then you can factor in a slight lowering by picking a lighter spring.

You can use the spring calculators on the bottom of this page --->Spring Calculators

Then you can order springs by GM part number from a few vendors or have Eaton custom make them.

BTW you can use them to find your part number and letter code for spring labels.

Greg

·
Registered
978 Posts
Glad to see you got another Nova and it's nice:D
I don't have a BB in mine:( but after swaping out several springs and using the helpers (coils were cut to short) and not liking it.
I broke down and bought the Qa-1 coilovers. It's the best thing I did. I got the ride height I wanted and still have the option of going lower or higher.
I know there pricey but there worth it to me.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Glad to see you got another Nova and it's nice:D
I don't have a BB in mine:( but after swaping out several springs and using the helpers (coils were cut to short) and not liking it.
I broke down and bought the Qa-1 coilovers. It's the best thing I did. I got the ride height I wanted and still have the option of going lower or higher.
I know there pricey but there worth it to me.
yes the qa1 are a nice piece had them on my blue nova..trying to keep this nova "simple" but we all know that wont happen:).put in the new moroso springs tonite and lucked out and hit it right were i wanted..gained 1" of header clearance and stance looks great..thanks guys for all the input

1 - 20 of 22 Posts