Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In a week I am getting a Bowtie overdrive 200 4r tranny.I was wondering what size torque convertor I should get.My engine right now is about 350 hp...my cam is a voodoo 268/280.I want to install a bigger cam later...maybe 280 or a 284.I was wondering what size convertor I should get that will work with my cam now and let me upgrade later.My gears are 3.36 but I will be changing them out for 3.73's.my heads are 180/64cc afr eliminator heads.thanks bm

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
If your looking for a shelf convertor try a 10" TCI street fighter, used one for 10+ years and drove it around daily , very pleased.

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
With the 700R4 one major factor is the low first gear.
It will not be necessary to install a lot of converter.

Now! Converter, it is no secret that a more converter means more power multiplication and acceleration. But this greatly reduces durability, mileage & driving convenience even with a over drive.

The low first gear in the trans makes a great combination, this could and I expect null the future gear change.

The best converter IMO!! (we know what that means)
For your application.
Is the same one used in Corvettes with the 700R4
It's a tight 2500stall, just enough with the low first gear to make a real tire burner and get drivability and mileage!

I know for a fact that that AFR head change makes some great torque, make use of it! :yes:

Al

If your going to slicks and want the best Et at the drag strip slam the converter to it.
But forget that cruising factor!

·
Premium Member
5,493 Posts
Question for Big Al

Hey Bruce,

I think Big Al is talking about the stock Covette convertors, which I am pretty sure are coded as a "B29" units. I think they are stall rated at about 2100RPM. Al, can you verify that this is the same convertor you are talking about?

I have a new (rebuilt) one sitting in my garage that I was originally going to use in my 62 Nova. Instead, I am going to use a Hughes Pro Street 3000RPM stall speed (My project and expectations have grown). If you are interested in the Covette convertor, PM me.
Ron

Edit.....Sorry.......I read Al's post about the 700R4 and was thinking Bruce had one, not a 200.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
If I were running a 200 trans, I'd use a somewhat loose lock-up piece. Like I've said before, talk to good converter builder, give them all the specs you can give him and let him tell you what you need.

·
3,863 Posts
I'm sure he is Ron, but I'm with Mike here. A good convertor builder will give Bruce exactly what he needs.

Bruce (too).

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
If I were running a 200 trans, I'd use a somewhat loose lock-up piece. Like I've said before, talk to good converter builder, give them all the specs you can give him and let him tell you what you need.
Absolutely!!!
Lock-up opens the door to a lot more possibilities!!!:yes:

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
BM
I really agree with the advice to call the company who will build yours. I had Phoenix Trans build mine when he did my tranny. He needed a lot of info and came up with 2600 stall. I absolutely love it.

My build up is similar to yours except I have AFR 190 heads with a slightly larger Isky hyd roller setup. Mine is also a 383. My car is street driven only.

Good luck, let us know what you decided.
Tg

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
With the 700R4 one major factor is the low first gear.
It will not be necessary to install a lot of converter.

Now! Converter, it is no secret that a more converter means more power multiplication and acceleration. But this greatly reduces durability, mileage & driving convenience even with a over drive.

The low first gear in the trans makes a great combination, this could and I expect null the future gear change.

The best converter IMO!! (we know what that means)
For your application.
Is the same one used in Corvettes with the 700R4
It's a tight 2500stall, just enough with the low first gear to make a real tire burner and get drivability and mileage!

I know for a fact that that AFR head change makes some great torque, make use of it! :yes:

Al

If your going to slicks and want the best Et at the drag strip slam the converter to it.
But forget that cruising factor!
this is for a 200 4r transmission al.
How about some reputable torque convertor companies...guys.thanks bm

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
this is for a 200 4r transmission al.
How about some reputable torque convertor companies...guys.thanks bm
TCI
Breakaway ®

The first step into serious high performance, the Breakaway® is a great torque converter for moderately modified street machines and weekend racers also used as daily drivers. It provides approximately 2400 to 2600 rpm flash stall with out negatively affecting part throttle driving. Designed for efficiency at highway cruising speeds and to launch hard at wide open throttle, the Breakaway® is a fantastic all-around torque converter.
http://www.tciauto.com/Products/Converters/default.asp

ATI is a great product. They will need to build a custom one for your application.
http://www.atiracing.com/products/products.htm

IMO!!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I run a 3200 stall in my 66 post with a 200r4. It was built by edge. I love it, the guys there are great. they build a lot race converters for those Grand National guys. Oh yeah it's a lock up type, best of both worlds. I even rigged up a lock up button on the shifter, drag for making someone "break out" at the strip.

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Absolutely!!!
Lock-up opens the door to a lot more possibilities!!!:yes:
Can you elaborate on this...What is the difference between lock up and non lock up?thanks bm

·
Registered
576 Posts
A typical 350 or 400 trans are not equipped with a lock up converter and there is always a slip between the engine and final drive.
In a lock up it is solid like a manual transmision.
Otherwords if you get a higher rpm stall it doesn't really matter becasue on the frwy you can lock it up and the stall disappears.

Mine locks in 4th gear only and when you shift into 4th on the FRwY you can actually feel when the converter locks up its like an extra gear cutting the rpms down another notch.
HOWEVER
When I slow down (10mph) getting off the Frwy its almost like driving with a stick and not putting in the clutch when you slow down until the lock up goes off or switch down a gear. You can wire them up so they go off when you hit your break if you want or manually turn them on or off.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
5,493 Posts
Hi Bruce,
You want a lock up unit as Chuck said. It gives you the best of both worlds. You can have your higher stall speed for performance and then let it lock up while cruzing on the freeway for better fual mileage and less heat.
On my 700R4 I bought a Hughes 3000RPM stall pro steet model with lock up. On my 700R4 the lock up is controlled by appling 12 volts to a connector on the side of the transmission. You can have this controlled by a speed switch (like say 50MPH and above) or manually control it with a button on the shifter or via vacume swithes that are plumbed into the transmission.

Ron

·
3,863 Posts
Or you can wire is up to lock up in fourth gear only and is turned off by tapping the brakes. This is by far the simplest and cheapest method.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Can you elaborate on this...What is the difference between lock up and non lock up?thanks bm
The other guys really explained it quite well. What I did was set it up so I could completely turn it off at the track. I had a 4700-4800 in the wife's car and when the converter "Locked up" it was like it shifter into another gear and there was NO SLIP.....So there was no extra heat as well.

I don't really advocate applying the lockup at full power just because there's just not much clutch there.:no:

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts