Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
the car is a 62 nova convertible. we plan on lowering it 2 inches in the front and install a mini subframe kit fro CPP. suspension and front clip are stock otherwise with stock inner fenders. not sure whether we are gonna use lowering springs, cut the stock springs, or use drop spindles. either way its getting lowered 1.5-2 inches. the wheels that were ordered were 17x 7 Coys C5 wit a 4.5 inch BS on all 4 corners. what size tire will allow it to turn lock to lock without any rubbing. its also a V8, not the 6 cyl. it looks like most are using 215/40/17 but we wanted to make sure before they are ordered.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
front disc brakes only, rdrums on the rear. not sure what kit, they came with it, my dad bought the car about a few weeks ago.

·
Premium Member
3,361 Posts
With the correct backspacing, you can run a 215-45-17 without rubbing. IMO the 215-40-17 sidewall is too short.:yes:

·
Premium Member
6,365 Posts
With the correct backspacing, you can run a 215-45-17 without rubbing. IMO the 215-40-17 sidewall is too short.:yes:
Bryan, don't forget the first genners are a little different than the 2nd genners, but your right 215/45 looks much better.

Here's my take on it.

On the rear with a 17x7 w/4.5 bs you SHOULD be fine with a 235/45, maybe a 245/45 but it's real close. I have 245/45's on the rear of mine and it's super tight but it works. The only rubbing I get is, if there's 4 people in the car and I turn left real hard or sharp, something rubs but I have not been able to determine what/where it's hitting, 1) cause there's no marks on the tire and, 2) theres no marks in the wheelwell area.

The front is where the bigger issue is since you've already ordered your wheels. Depending on what disc brake set-up you have, it could have pushed out the front wheel mounting surface 5/8" to 3/4". So assuming it doesn't have a zero offset disc brake kit your limited to what's going to fit. No way will the 215/45 fit (ask me how I know:(). 205/45 might be o.k. with the front fender extensions. 205/40 fit's, but as Bryan mentioned the sidewall is real short, that's what I have and to be truthful I really don't care for such a short sidewall.
With the CPP zero offset disc brake kit 205/45 is a breeze and 215/45 should be o.k., but ya might need the fender extensions.

Now that I've said all that, I'll tell ya it means little to nothing. What works on my car or someone elses car might not work on your car, but then again it might.

EDIT: For lowering the front I'd use drop spindles, as that wont affect the suspension geometry and you'll still maintain a nice ride.

·
Premium Member
3,366 Posts
I have 215 45's on my 63 up front with 5" of bs. No way a 245 45 will fit in the rear for me though. I can't even get it in the wheel well. I had to go 225 45 in the rear.

·
Premium Member
6,365 Posts
I have 215 45's on my 63 up front with 5" of bs. No way a 245 45 will fit in the rear for me though. I can't even get it in the wheel well. I had to go 225 45 in the rear.

This is a perfect example of what I was talking about:yes::yes:

What works on car A, wont necessarly work on car B.
And our cars are even the same year.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
we have some 245/45/17s laying around the shop that are in good shape, might see how they work out in the rear. if they dont we'll just order 215/45/17 on all 4 corners and be done with it, that loooks to be the size everyone "thinks" will work

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
keep in mind folks, the car will be lowered 1.5-2 inches in the front, and then however much it takes in the rear to level it out, or at least come close to it!

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
I agree on the sidewall too short deal. I have that size on the front of my Cougar but with 8 inch wide wheels. Too short and not wide enough.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
I have 235/45/17 on the front on an 8" rim. Looks good and no rubbing at all. MII arms on stock frame rails. 285/40/17 on 10" rims on the back, not stock. These are goodyear F1 tires which run kinda large, good match front to rear. Ya gotta measure yer car though. JR

·
Premium Member
3,361 Posts
If you have trouble with the tire rubbing the front fender as many have experienced, try shimming the front UCA bolt out to increase caster, then pull caster back into place with an alignment. This will move your wheel center back and give you more tire to fender clearance.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts