Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 63 ss convt. I'm trying to find out what size engine has. the number stamped on the block is F0608LK. I can't find the app. code for the LK. I would like to know size and year of this engine if possible

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply joe .but the engine is a straight 6 with a one barrel carb,and a 3 speed tranny .

·
Registered
135 Posts
194 CI maybe?

:edit:

i found this list of engines for the first gen...

153 in³ I4
194 in³ I6
283 in³ V8
327 in³ V8

and it looks like the only inline 6 was 194 ci. hope that helps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know its suppose to be a 194 but not sure it is .the reason I'm not sure is the dip stick location? a friend has a SS convert. his dip stick is by the coil in the front and mine is back by the starter.just not sure if it is the original engine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no problem Joe I should have said it is A 6 cyl. Is there any web sites I can find this kind of information and would the #'s on the block and head help any ? I tried novaresource.com it says it should end with a H or HB to be a 194 :confused:

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
JM,I should have also read better.A first gen would not have a BB.My chilton Manual starts at 64,so I have no 63 Codes.Is the K easy to read?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Joe all the letters are stamped in pretty deep .I thought I miss read them at first but is definitely F0608LK

·
Registered
533 Posts
if it isnt a 194 ci , i don't think it is the original, however this doesnt help you to find out what it is, good luck though.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Any Chev 194-230-250 is a fairly easy swap with any other. If you can get the casting number off the block, often underneath the manifolds it will help narrow down what is in the car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok I checked the block and did'nt find anything on that side (drivers).on the passengers side in the middle, by the motor mount is 3850817 0 with GM under it. back by the dip stick is C O N 2 F 54 :awkward: hope this helps

·
Registered
818 Posts
3850617 is a 62-78 230 or 250. If you pull a spark plug when at tdc and the piston is a flat top, it is likely a 230 and dished a 250.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
If it has flat top pistons it also could be a 194. The letter F means that the engine was cast in the 6th month (June). then the day of the month, then the year. I have 194 engine with the following J27 6 so it is an October 27, 1966 production motor out of a 67 Nova. Also, important is that 250 motors weren't produced until 1966. Good luck identifying it.

·
14,377 Posts
If it has flat top pistons it also could be a 194. The letter F means that the engine was cast in the 6th month (June). then the day of the month, then the year. I have 194 engine with the following J27 6 so it is an October 27, 1966 production motor out of a 67 Nova. Also, important is that 250 motors weren't produced until 1966. Good luck identifying it.
Welcome to the site. Always a good idea to check the date on the first post in a thread. The question in this thread was posted 14 years ago and the last reply before yours was also in 2007.

Bob

1 - 16 of 16 Posts