Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to plumb my brake line on my 66. What size hard line is best to use with manual disc/drum brakes. I have the CPP master cylinder. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,948 Posts
X2... I do have a question regarding this, not to hijack this post. If he was to upgrade to disk brakes in the rear, is there a requirement that the lines running back to the rear brake be upgraded to something larger?

·
Premium Member
3,361 Posts
X2... I do have a question regarding this, not to hijack this post. If he was to upgrade to disk brakes in the rear, is there a requirement that the lines running back to the rear brake be upgraded to something larger?
Nope- brake line size will not affect braking.

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
Nope- brake line size will not affect braking.
Disagree!

Brake line size can effect pressure "response".

Lines to small can have a negative double effect. Small lines will act like a restrictor. Slowing the pressure response and also slowing the pressure decrease.
Line that are to large will cause a soft pedal effect. Spongy feel.

Copy from MP brakes:
1958-64 cars came with a single master cylinder with a single line that fed the entire drum brake system. The power disc brake system upgrades to a dual master cylinder and proportional valve. This allows the brake fluid system to be separate eliminating total system failure if one line is compromised. If your stock Chevy is in need of disc brakes, this is the setup for you.
When upgrading to disc brakes, the car should be upgraded to 3/16" brake line. This size line builds up more pressure and gives a much better pedal feel. 3/16" line is commonly used for disc brakes while 1/4" line is used on full drum brake cars.

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
Disagree!

But lines to small can have a negative double effect. Small lines will act like a restrictor. Slowing the pressure response and also slowing the pressure decrease.
X2 What brakes are you running?

·
Premium Member
3,361 Posts
Disagree!

Lines to small can have a negative double effect. Small lines will act like a restrictor. Slowing the pressure response and also slowing the pressure decrease.

Copy from MP brakes:
1958-64 cars came with a single master cylinder with a single line that fed the entire drum brake system. The power disc brake system upgrades to a dual master cylinder and proportional valve. This allows the brake fluid system to be separate eliminating total system failure if one line is compromised. If your stock Chevy is in need of disc brakes, this is the setup for you.
When upgrading to disc brakes, the car should be upgraded to 3/16" brake line. This size line builds up more pressure and gives a much better pedal feel. 3/16" line is commonly used for disc brakes while 1/4" line is used on full drum brake cars.
X2 What brakes are you running?
This has been discussed before MANY times but you fellas have it incorrect (so does MP brakes). This is a basic concept of physics. Ever heard of Pascal?
:horse:

Here is some good reading:

http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50757&highlight=pascal

http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91619&highlight=pascal

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
This has been discussed before MANY times but you fellas have it incorrect (so does MP brakes). This is a basic concept of physics. Ever heard of Pascal?
:horse:

Here is some good reading:

http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50757&highlight=pascal

http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91619&highlight=pascal
I wont dispute your experience with changing brake lines, but everyone has different experiences with effects following changes made to their vehicle. Not all of the experiences coincide with known facts/theories, but because they occur, does not make them a known fact either.
Humm? Your own words!:eek:

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
I understand fluid dynamics. Actually, I dont understand it, but I understand the theory. And I understand electronics too. But electronics are a theory too..

Real world application sometimes goes against a proven theory. Why? Who knows, prolly cause the outside variables, outside of the simple theory come into play.

When you make a system, you have to look at all the parts of the system. And fluid dynamics work well within a controlled system for testing. But its sometimes difficult to integrate a "perfect" system into a real world application. Way too many variables.

So yeah, fluid dynamics says a tube of a given size will transmit the force applied equally as another size tube. Cut and dry right... You would think.. So you break down a semi complex system, like a car, into its individual components and say this will work. Engineers work like that.

Im not an engineer, Im a technician. We have butted heads forever. Techs and engineers.

Real world thinking and statistical thinking. Cant say how many times Ive tried to say a system wont work to the engineer. What ends up happening?? He wins, of course, hes the money man. So we build it to his specs. What ends up happening again?? We change it, wasnt gonna fit in the real world. So, he blames it on manufacturing and says they F-ed up, or parts suppliers, outta spec. But thats with some very complex systems, and really, I dont fault the engineer, some systems are way beyond my skill. But a simple braking system on a car. Basic stuff.

OK.. So I rambled a lil on my own accord...

For me? 3/16" line works just fine. The whole car is plumbed in 3/16" line.... Engineers nailed it on this one for me... :) JR

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
On the other side of the "fluid dynamics coin".....I plumbed my car in 1/4"....4 wheel discs.......it will bang your head on the dash.......:yes:

T,
Exactly!! And a 3/16" line will too. You have a good braking system. SWEET!!! Gotta love the stopping power.. Helmet required LOL JR

1 - 14 of 14 Posts