Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Small journal 327, bored .60 over, 461 heads, Comp Cams 268h cam with matching lifters and dual springs. I used to shift this motor at 6500 with what was basically an RV cam. Purely a street driven car, but I've been known to out my foot in it.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
That cam will probably be out of steam around 5500. Not saying the engine won’t produce more rpm’s but I wouldn’t push it any farther than needed.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
First thing is how accurate the tach is. Second is you have to really be honest as to when the engine lays over. A small engine like a 327 can have a higher powerband with the same cam as a larger engine would. But it’s easy to think the engine is still making rpm to 6500 when the rate of acceleration has fallen off significantly past 5700.

·
Registered
1973 Custom hatchback
1,127 Posts
Do you have a chassis or engine dyno run, or some date indicating where your peak HP is with some degree of accuracy? If so then the best shift point is 500 RPM past that point. That's for racing but can transfer to any street situation.
In my experience ( late model Hemi 5.7) that shift point is about 300 RPM short of the rev limit.
Without a rev limit, or even with one I know I sure like to wind her out there...but I know I'm not making power.

Just some additional info

Gl

1 - 4 of 4 Posts