Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just purchased a 72 nova it has roll bars, 12 bolt 3.73 gears, line lock etc. It also, has 28-9-15 slicks. I have a 74 nova with the same but the 72 has a super t-10 manuel and the 74 has a th350 with 3000 stall. The 72 will have a 501 hp 408 (flywheel) hp engine with 150 shot. I have never driven a 4 speed at the track only Automatics with stall coverters. I have head many different rpms. Just asking for some input.

Thanks

Tony

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
Only YOU will be able to determine that by going out and testing the car. No 2 cars respond the same. Try starting at something low, like 3000 rpm, and go from there. Unless the car is well setup, it might not take much more than that on a small tire.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
You're in for a riot of a time figuring all of this out. Read some of my other posts to find out what I mean. What you need to find is the sweet spot between bogging the motor, spinning the tires and breaking parts. Often times all of those things happen at the same time and the spot isn't so sweet. You'll need to know what clutch you have and determine what the use is for the car. 150 shot on an organic diaphragm type clutch is probably going to end up with something broken

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Unless the car is well setup, it might not take much more than that on a small tire.
my car with the new clutch (so far...) does the same 60' at a 6000rpm launch as it did at a 3500 with the old clutch. Strange. I talked to some clutch big-wigs and figured out some of the problem hopefully. I get frustrated chasing down the traction gremlin. Just can't catch him...

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
In a drag car, it's all in the clutch package and set up.

When I ran a 4 speed, I had a Ram 6 puck disc, and a ford long style pressure plate that had 8 adjusters so you could adjust the pressure. There are much better clutch discs now, but with the correct setup, you want the clutch to slip, then hook. This helps keep the engine from bogging, and keeps the tires from spinning.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
clutch

Thanks for the input. Here is the clutch info. Pressure Plate, Centerforce II, Diaphragm-Style, 10.4 in. Disc Diameter. Centerforce Performance Clutch Discs
Clutch Disc, Organic, 1 1/ 8 in. Diameter Shaft, 10-Spline, 10.4 in. Diameter Disc.
Any suggestions?

Tony

·
Registered
508 Posts
I would get some practice in feeding the clutch. What i mean by this is start at a set rpm like 3000-3500, as your leting out the clutch roll on the trotlle at the same time to kepp it from bogging and spining. Dont just go up , pinn it and dump the clutch. The feed is a tricky thing to get used to but it will save parts and help keep tires planted for beter 60'. Jmo!:d

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
yea gotta find the right combination of not bogging it and not spinning the tires. Breaking parts is part of the game, that just means they weren't up to the task. You might want to invest in a Rev limiter of some type so you can would the gas and dump the clutch. What would be the point of having a stick if you can't deck it and let er eat!!!?

·
Registered
309 Posts
x2, have fun ,, its's why we do this, on new asphalt my car don't break the tires loose when i let go of the trans brake at 3000

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks

Thanks guys for all the input. I will post a picture of the 72 soon. I hope Steve and the guys could put together a Nova meet somewhere with some competition. I believe we would have a great turn out. Maybe even sponsors and TV. You know it would raise a lot of money for the site and charities. Also, I could get a shot at beating The Big Al.

Tony the Tumblebug
74 nova 408
72 nova ???:turn:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts