Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My engine makes max HP at 6400 RPM, so when i want to manually shift it while racing what should my rpms be around?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I set my shift light about 200 RPMs LESS THAN where I actually want the shift to occur...that way if I'm a little slow reacting, the shift is still where I want it to be. It'll take some trial & error.

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
Some of it depends on how much RPM drop you get on the shift to the next gear. You want to keep the engine in it's max performance band. I set our air shifter at or a couple hundred RPM above the max hp RPM that we found on the dyno. You will have to do some experimenting at the track to determine the optimum shift point as it definitely affects your final ET/Speed.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Some of it depends on how much RPM drop you get on the shift to the next gear. You want to keep the engine in it's max performance band. I set our air shifter at or a couple hundred RPM above the max hp RPM that we found on the dyno. You will have to do some experimenting at the track to determine the optimum shift point as it definitely affects your final ET/Speed.
i agree with you. we found about 500 above max power we run the fastest. we played with severl cars on the dyno and found similar results.

if your still building power why shift early, use the power you have

1 - 8 of 8 Posts