Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a early version TCI 4 link rear on my 66. Mostly street driven, but is now seeing some drag strip time! It currently has the original non-adjustable Aldan shocks, and from the info I've gathered, probably 250lb rate springs. I'm going to upgrade to a set of double adjustable AFCO shocks and I'm thinking of softening up the rear some. It's always been a bit too stiff feeling for my taste, so I'm thinking about going to a 200lb. spring. I understand they are also now shipping these kits with 10" springs, so I may look at those also. Right now, after the initial launch the rear feels like its almost immediately unloading. The goal is a harder launch and keep the rear planted. Any suggestions on changing the spring rate and shock tuning tips?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
250 rear springs is way too much. My Chevelle was 3200 lbs with me in it and I ran 130 and 138 springs in mine at 2 different times. The car was built with 130's and then when I upgraded to a DA shock, they only offered 125 and 138 so I went 138. I can't say much on how spring length affects it or if it does as long as the proper amount of travel is there. I ran 14" springs in mine.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
250 rear springs is way too much. My Chevelle was 3200 lbs with me in it and I ran 130 and 138 springs in mine at 2 different times. The car was built with 130's and then when I upgraded to a DA shock, they only offered 125 and 138 so I went 138. I can't say much on how spring length affects it or if it does as long as the proper amount of travel is there. I ran 14" springs in mine.
Wow Bracket! Thats a big difference from what I was expecting. From some of the other forum posts, I've seen a few people swap out for 200's, but not much lower than that. I believe TCI is now shipping these kits with 200# 10 inch springs. I know there's a formula that will usually get you in the ballpark for spring rate, however that will require me putting the car on scales, which at the current time I don't have. I may need to ring up TCI and discuss with them again to get some more ideas. Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
527 Posts
I'm in the same boat and will definitely follow this thread.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got in a set of AFCO double adjustable shocks to replace the original Aldans. While on the phone with AFCO, I also discussed spring rate. They suggested something in the 125-150 range. That being said, as with most other things, you have to find a compromise. 200lb springs are probably not far off if you planned on doing to Auto Xing, or some other spirited cornering. In my case, I'm more interested in a softer ride, along with straight line performance. I'm probably going to order a set of 150's and see what happens. Will follow-up on the post once I get them installed.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I have a set of Ride Tech's and have thought about putting a softer spring on just to help ride quality. My car hasn't seen a track and probably won't. On a good road my car handles and drives great. There just isn't many good roads around here.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have the adjustable ride tech’s with TCI front clip and 4 link. With the shock adjustment mid way it was too stiff for the street. With them turned to softest it’s better so I’m thinking of changing to softer spring’s.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Got in a set of AFCO double adjustable shocks to replace the original Aldans. While on the phone with AFCO, I also discussed spring rate. They suggested something in the 125-150 range. That being said, as with most other things, you have to find a compromise. 200lb springs are probably not far off if you planned on doing to Auto Xing, or some other spirited cornering. In my case, I'm more interested in a softer ride, along with straight line performance. I'm probably going to order a set of 150's and see what happens. Will follow-up on the post once I get them installed.
I don't think 150 will be a bad place to start.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I talked to TCI and they said they believe I also have a 250 lb spring in mine, and that is the ideal rate based on their testing and whatever they do to determine spring rate. He also said they would not recommend going less than a 200lb. spring. I'm not positive, but I believe the shock I have is 14.5 long extended and 10.25 closed. My car currently compresses the shock 1.0". 14.5-10.25=4.25/2=2.125" - So I want to compress it 2.125" instead of 1.0". 1.0x250 = 250. 250/2.125 = 118 lbs, which is the ideal spring rate to compress the shock 1/2 way. Does this make sense? 120 sounds better to me than 250, but I think even a 200 lb spring would be much better. My car is way too stiff.
That was not with me in the car, so my thought is I may go 150-160 as well, in case I have junk in the trunk.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I talked to TCI and they said they believe I also have a 250 lb spring in mine, and that is the ideal rate based on their testing and whatever they do to determine spring rate. He also said they would not recommend going less than a 200lb. spring. I'm not positive, but I believe the shock I have is 14.5 long extended and 10.25 closed. My car currently compresses the shock 1.0". 14.5-10.25=4.25/2=2.125" - So I want to compress it 2.125" instead of 1.0". 1.0x250 = 250. 250/2.125 = 118 lbs, which is the ideal spring rate to compress the shock 1/2 way. Does this make sense? 120 sounds better to me than 250, but I think even a 200 lb spring would be much better. My car is way too stiff.
That was not with me in the car, so my thought is I may go 150-160 as well, in case I have junk in the trunk.
When you change the springs would you come back here and tell what spring you went with and how it affected your car. My car needs a softer spring front and rear but I don't know what to put on it. Ride Tech says TCI over springs their cars but they want corner weights before recommending a spring. As stated above, I love my car on a smooth road but we don't have any where I live.

·
Registered
119 Posts
For a drag car application all the spring does is hold the car up. The spring doesn't really do much more than that, controll of the suspension is all from the shock. At 200 you are way to stiff. Depending on car weight, i would guess 150 at the most. More is just going to make the shock less effective at doing its job.

·
Registered
63 Nova SS (Basket Case)
56 Posts
Agreed Deeznuts
I struggled with traction on my 67 ladderbar car until I changed to lighter springs in the rear, drag only no street use. I found having access to wheel scales changed my whole perspective on suspension set up. Using the scales and adjusting to move the weight, and select the right springs.
The rear spring I ended up with only gave the shock 1.5" of compression, leaving 3.5" for extension. Think it was a 110 lb. But that's all dependent on the weight, shock travel, shock location and mount adjustability.
I had to do front end work as well, but that's a different topic.
Reading "Doorslammers The Chassis Book" by Dave Morgan is a solid book, really helped me understand drag car chassis.

Reactions: Deeznuts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts