Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting a new center section built. I had a True trac posi unit but! The rear end builder is saying i should go with Detroit locker style and it's good up to 1000+hp and the True trac is only good to 650hp. I think it's a good deal.What do you guys think?

yukon nodular (alum) pro n case 5/8 cap bolts
(Alum) Dayton pinion support
Motive performance gears (4.11)
Detroit locker- style unit
Timken USA bearing

·
Registered
798 Posts
Depending on the locker some can be annoyingly clunky.It will remind you every time you drive it that you have one.I think there are locker styles available now that lock in and out quieter.Unless you have riden in a vehicle with one I would ask the builder about the racket from his diff.I had one in an old Ford pickup and would not have one again.I put a full spool in my car only because of budget at the time intending to get into a good posi later but to be honest the spool is great.It's quiet,simple,strong,steering is fine without excessive push (325/50 ET rear and 195/65 front) and other than slightly accelerated tire wear I see no reason to change it so far.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm going this route:www.strangeengineering.net/newprod/S-TracLayout.html
A couple of friends are running Detroit lockers on the street, and they don't like them. They say they have a notching type of engagement when they get on them after turning a corner. I was talking to a tech rep at Strange, and they said they don't recommend them for street use for the same reason. I've never driven one with a detroit though, so I can't say how bad it really is. The S-trac is pricey, but. it has a lifetime warranty for the original owner and looks pretty strong.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what are your guys running or used? i ran a true trac and i busted it all up dont know what caused the problems i had.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No not yet! i only have 523 + will be putting 200 spray! But i all ways want more. I want it built to last and take whatever i can throw at it.i never ran a Detroit locker so i dont know how loud it is!

·
Registered
798 Posts
I picked up my 12 bolt axles and spool at the same time from Moser and I believe the bill was less than 600 bucks for both.I've seen spools under 200 clams.If you don't like it you're only out the 200.If you don't like that locker it could be a tough resale and you will have to take a nasty cash lickin' to get rid of it.Some of this hot rod learning curve can get your wallet awfully bloody.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Ran a Detroit Locker in a blown 67 pro-street car w/o any problems and didn't have an issue with locker rachet noise.

Putting together a street/autocross 65 that I'll be using a Trac-Loc in, but it will only be a 525 HP LS motor.

What broke in your other Trac-Loc?

Walt

·
Registered
909 Posts
I've got a detroit locker in my street / strip car. I don't hear any clunking and it works great. It does have a little side to side pyll when you first get on it but not enough to bother me. I had one back in the 80s in a toyota truck and that one would always have a loud bang around corners. Could have been the big tires causing bind though. Never had any problems with either one.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I have a Detroit locker now. There is a bit of a different feel and they are noisy when they engage and disengage but nothing terrible. I never heard a ratchet like people told me I would but who knows, maybe I just don't pay attention ?. My car is street only right now and it works fine for street use. I'm a fan of them and they are strong.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
798 Posts
I don't think lockers were really intended for everyday street use either.Usually they were an option for a car ordered from the factory with alot of 1/4 mile action on the agenda.This is my first experience with a spool and I debated a long time whether to go this way.Since I only had a housing in the car it was either the spool or lose the better part of a summers cruising to raise the dough for a GOOD posi.I heard the horror stories about the car swapping ends,broken axles,won't steer,etc but for 200 bones i figured even if I hated it I wasn't breaking the bank and could surely sell it for half the purchase price.It's not very often I cheap out and wind up happy with the outcome.The manners of a spool may be worse than I experienced in a heavier car or a wider rear track but I don't see any significant difference to a posi in my application and certainly nothing unsafe.Tire wear,that's it.Intended use is the biggest factor IMO.Wouldn't put one in a pro tour car that sees enthusiastic cornering but my crate is a gasser type setup and doesn't see that kind of use.More of a point and shoot driving style.

·
4,534 Posts
Has anyone heard of Yukon Dura-Grip 4-pinion posi unit (billet case)?
It's just a knock off of the factory track-lock, made with billed case, chromoly internals, etc... For a 9" due to the carrier shape once you get over 650HP the Detroit locker is pretty much your best bet. The ones from 10+ years ago are the old style lockers that are really clunky the new ones are what they call soft lockers (finer tooth count). The insert lockers like powertrax are junk for higher hp applications.

Miles

·
Registered
215 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts