Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there someone here that may have built a 400 with 3.875 stroke? What pistons did you use?
I am trying to find what's turning out to be a rare piston for my + .020 bore 400.
The bore size is 4.145
All I can find are high compression dome.
I want a flat top or dish.
I can bore it +.030 if I have to. Rather not.
I want to use a 6" rod.
Is this build that rare?
Help please.......

Thanks
Don

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I am using a Ross flat top piston., 4.155" bore, 6" rod, 3.875" stroke. Not sure, but the forging looks the same as a JE piston I looked at. The +.030" Ross piston was still available last I looked and this combination is increasing in popularity. You could check JE too.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
You could call Mark @ Probe too.

.020" overbore is gonna be an odd duck....Might be cheaper to go another .010" over and get a common shelf piston.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ironman
PHP:
You could check JE too.
Yep. I did check with JE they all are either 18 Deg. or high compression dome.

D-Man
PHP:
.020" overbore is gonna be an odd duck....Might be cheaper to go another .010" over and get a common shelf piston.
That is an option I will consider.

D-Man
PHP:
You could call Mark @ Probe too.
You wouldn't happen to have Mark's number would you??

Thanks guys
Don

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Probe Industries.

Eric is cool to deal with as well.:yes: but santa (Mark O'Neil) is the MAIN guy.:yes:

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
You probably won't find these off the shelf or in the summit catalog, but
most of the aftermarket piston makers will custom machine piston blanks for any CH you want. Call JE direct.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
Flatlander Racing has one by Ross:
Bore Stroke Rod Dome 58cc 64cc 76cc CH Weight Part# Price
4.145 3.875 6.000 -6.000 12.1 11.3 10.0 1.063 432 99470 $589

Probe doesn't do any .020" over, I have a friend there--I tried.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You guys are all right on.

I called JE $900:(

bowtie0069 you are correct Probe does not make +020

I will have to go +030 and build the 421

Probe has +030 -22.5 dish 10.0:1 with 64cc head. $535:yes:

This is a build for my 55 but I am not trying to squeeze everything out of it.
Should be good for testing the seat backs though:devil:

Thanks
Don

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
You guys are all right on.

I called JE $900:(

bowtie0069 you are correct Probe does not make +020

I will have to go +030 and build the 421

Probe has +030 -22.5 dish 10.0:1 with 64cc head. $535:yes:

This is a build for my 55 but I am not trying to squeeze everything out of it.
Should be good for testing the seat backs though:devil:

Thanks
Don

JE is crazy. Good product but crazy price wise. Probe is excellent and I would use them in a heartbeat!

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
You didn't like the .020" over Ross pistons I listed? They have flat tops (11.3 comp.w/64cc), or I believe reverse domes available as well. $589 is a lot better than $900

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
bowtie0069
Big Al
I am not interested in the JE's for 900...
And my machinist/engine builder does not like Ross pistons for some reason. I will have to ask him why.

Don

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
bowtie0069

And my machinist/engine builder does not like Ross pistons for some reason. I will have to ask him why.

Don

I am curious as to what he says about them. Reason being is I know alot of guys running them with huge shots of nitrous with no problems. My machine shop builds some of the fastest engines around here and he likes ross pistons. He talked me into using them in my 355 build I did as you can see here. I never had a problem with them. This was a 14:1 355 with a .650 lift solid roller. Plenty of valve clearance and a strong piston.

·
Premium Member
3,361 Posts
I run Probe pistons in my 383. I think they are the best bang for the buck!:yes:

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
I've used Ross in a couple engines; some of them are on the heavy side, but pretty much bulletproof. I really like Mahle's (my 410" uses them) they are light, coated, great ring pack, but limited sizes available. The Probe's I have are really light (343g) but, like you know, don't come in .020" over. The one thing I didn't like about the Probe's is the ring sizes-1.2mm,1.5mm,3mm makes ring choice more difficult.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
I've used Ross in a couple engines; some of them are on the heavy side, but pretty much bulletproof. I really like Mahle's (my 410" uses them) they are light, coated, great ring pack, but limited sizes available. The Probe's I have are really light (343g) but, like you know, don't come in .020" over. The one thing I didn't like about the Probe's is the ring sizes-1.2mm,1.5mm,3mm makes ring choice more difficult.
Getting them for free doesn't leave a lot of room for complaint.:no::D:poke:

In all fairness though, they do offer different ring packs in most of their offerings. The most common being 1/16, 1/16, 3/16 and a few 1/16, 1/16, 1/8.:yes:

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
In all fairness though, they do offer different ring packs in most of their offerings
True, but I wanted the metric rings for this particular combo--light crank, rods, pistons-low drag rings, coated bearings...trying to make a high mileage, somewhat high power combo.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts