Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I know what PCV valve to run. I know there are different kinds for different levels of engine vacuum. Does anybody have a chart or know how to tell if I have the right one. I am gettng a lot of oil out of my breather and I don't think the PCV valve I have is working properly.

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump. Any ideas?

·
14,586 Posts
I have always run one for the year of car and never had any problems. If you have something other than the stock engine you could try a pcv for the year engine that you have but I doubt it would make any difference.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
The guy to ask is Mike Goble regarding PCV valves. Do a search on here you should find what your looking for. On street performance engines I use one from a 70 corvette LT-1 350.

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did a search and couldn't find the thread with Mike Goble. I know he has posted this info before but I can't seem to find it. I don't think Mike is on the site anymore so I can't ask him directly.

I have a breather on on valve cover and a pcv on the other. They are both new. I have baffles installed on my valve covers. I think I have everything right according to everyone that I have seen but I am still getting a lot of oil out of my breather.

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
I went to O'rielly's and told them I needed a PCV for a 1968 chevy camaro 327...He walked over to the rack and showed me two different ones....A straight one and one that had a 90 degree angle...bought the one with the 90 and a 3/8 hose...hooked it up..and off i went ..:D :cool:...Oh..And always keep the part number tabs from the box...usually helps then next time you need the part...

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't remember what application I got my PCV for but it was probably for my car (1970 Nova), or my motor (1980 something 400 sbc). Either way I still don't know what the problem is. The PCV has vacuum directly off the back of the carburetor and I am still getting smoke and oil out of the breather. The motor and everything associated with it are relatively new. The motor has maybe 3,000 miles on it total. I have read that I should be able to feel a slight vacuum through my breather. Is this true? It doesn't seem to be acting as an intake at all. It is blowing smoke and has a substanstial oil drip. The valve covers are baffled so well that it takes me about 5 minutes to poor in a quart of oil. I don't see how that much oil is getting out. :confused:

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bump for any new ideas.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts