Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a buddy who owns an old Lincoln Mark V, he's had tons of trouble with the intake not sealing, he uses the high temp black permatex gasket maker, but its leaked on him 3 times now... So i remember on my dvd boxwrench uses some clear liquid to seal most of their gaskets... I was wondering what kind it was if any of you knew so i could pass it on to my buddy, and if it has good reviews i may use it for some of my gaskets...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4MReUKFmpE&feature=channel_page
Is one of their links, in the first minute you can see them using the sealant stuff on the fuel pump... Thanks for any help you guys could give!

·
Registered
438 Posts
Sorry, I'm not sure what that clear sealant is.

If you can't find it, you may want to try Permatex High Tack Gasket Sealant. It comes in a little white jar similar to what you are looking for but the sealant itself is brown. It does work great though!

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
high temp black permatex gasket maker
In my opinion, that's one of the best out there today. I used Ultra Copper for a number of years until I had a bad mismatch causing a water leak; a friend used the black on the leak and it sealed it up perfectly.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
That liquid in a can could be several different things. Here's a few of the possibilities.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info guys!!! its amazing the stuff you learn here :)
Seems not only in this thread but others that the black rtv stuff is the best to use, and if his intake is still leaking after that then he either didnt apply it right or theres another problem...

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Thanks for the info guys!!! its amazing the stuff you learn here :)
Seems not only in this thread but others that the black rtv stuff is the best to use, and if his intake is still leaking after that then he either didnt apply it right or there's another problem...
Silicone will NOT stick to water or oil especially!!:no: You have to make sure the gasket surfaces are CLEAN before applying any type of sealant. I like to use some "Brake parts" cleaner and a rag to wipe the surfaces clean first.

I've seen that more times than I can count.:yes:

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've been told to use mineral spirits to clean a surface (to rid oil) but for my head i used brake clean spray, it cuts the oil quick and vaporizes just as fast... and the torque specs thing is probably where most of his problem is, like i said he doesnt read instructions and he stated he just tightened them down tight...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts