Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told to use 10W40 but I don't know about synthetic or mineral. The oil gauge got to minimum with very few miles traveled. There are no leaks. I live in a hot climate and was wondering if it's relevant at all.
Anyway. can you recommend what type of oil to use? Thanks.

·
Registered
1970 Nova SS 350 Brandon, MS
560 Posts
Welcome!

Now, about your post...what do you mean by "the oil gauge got to minimum"? You lost oil pressure? Or the oil level on the dipstick was low?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yeah, sorry, I meant the stick showed a low oil amount and the oil was thick. I don't know much about the engine specs as I bought the car recently and it was restored. Here are some pictures.

Edelbrock Aluminum heads, performance camshaft, Edelbrock intake, Edelbrock carburator, Headman headers. Electronic ignition, Flowmaster duall exhaust system. The HP is about 275. but that is an estimate. The engine has a 4 barrel caburator. I believe the engine is from a 1972 Nova or Camaro.

·
Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
1,665 Posts
If you are running a flat tappet camshaft (hydraulic or solid), I recommend using Valvoline ZR1 10w30 motor oil. It's supposed to have a higher zinc content than most other conventional motor oils.
If you are running a roller camshaft, any quality motor oil (10w30) will work just fine.

As for the low oil situation, does the oil level drop quickly (after driving only 100-200 miles)?.... or does it take a longer time driving for the low oil situation to occur (500 or more miles of driving)?

I would first check for any signs of an oil leak.
Next, you should pull all of your spark plugs and see if any of the plugs look like they are covered in black soot. If any plugs look bad, it could indicate bad valve guide seals or bad/worn piston rings. A compression check is also recommended to help troubleshoot the low oil situation.

P.S. If your Flame Thrower coil is oil filled, I recommend that you that you re-mount the coil so that the top of the coil (where the wires attach) is pointing straight up. This will help the coil run cooler. If the coil is epoxy filled, you are fine with the current mounting orientation.

·
Registered
1970 Nova SS 350 Brandon, MS
560 Posts
the oil level on the dipstick was low
Were you checking the oil immediately (within a minute or two) after driving? Or was it sitting for a while before you checked?

Also, not bashing, just correcting....I think the Valvoline oil referenced above is "VR1" and not "ZR1".

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Also, not bashing, just correcting....I think the Valvoline oil referenced above is "VR1" and not "ZR1".
Thanks for correcting my mistake :thumbsup: Yes... Valvoline VR1.
I've been spending the last couple days in a 95° garage working on a couple projects for my Nova and must have got a little light headed from the heat :awkward:

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts